Administrators

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gmplr831, Feb 16, 2007.

1. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Administrators

Who are the admin here at everything q? I was ionterested in writing some reviews and assisting with moderation in the threads, and i cannot seem to find a straight answer. Who can help me?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

if need be i am also willing to help out where needed... am a mod on various -non phone related- forums.
  3. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I'd like to be more knowledgeable about my Q before I'd consider myself to "apply" to be a mod . . . but I'd like to know how would I submit a review, how-to, misc article, etc? Sadly, I usually hit the forums for info than the wiki or the main EQ site.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

If you are interested in writing reviews or articles for the main site, please send an email to editor (at) everythingq.com. There are a number of folks who have applied, but we haven't started the process just yet.

With regards to being a moderator, those positions will also come up shortly. I haven't given much thought to it just yet, but it's on the "to do list". Regulars and major contributors will be first in line, if they are interested.

-Chris
  5. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

I have been using windows mobile since 2002, so i know a great deal aboput the mobile systems. I have had a cingular 8525, 8125, blackjack, sprint q and verizon q, so i know quite a bit about these windows mobile. Any questions feel free to direct it to me.
  6. qnoob

qnoob New Member

thanks, will do.
  7. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I tell you this forum, as far as I have seen, has lots of polite considerate people. I've been here about a month as all has gone really well.

I managed a forum for three years and know that two things can ruin a board quickly: moderators and idiots. Some moderators have such a heavy hand that the slightest bending of the rules was met with swift and terrible justice. Basically, overkill! Idiots are the kind of people who know what the board is about but post about something completely different or the kind of people who like to ask questions then argue about responses.

But, everythingQ is nothing like the board I ran, which was religious in nature. It was the most aggravating things I have ever done. I finally had to give it up. I still post on the boards there, but I don't host. Actually, I think it's been a couple of months since I posted. I've been busy with school and HERE! :tounge:

Chris, you guys have done an excellent job at making everythingQ a great resource for new Q users. I'm glad I'm here.
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

NOOOOOO! You're gonna jinx it! Quick, we need a preemptive flame war to ward off the bad luck. :wink:
  9. scottjb

scottjb New Member

@My-Q,

I'm not surprised to hear your comments. People are passionate and have strong opinions about their phones and service providers. Imagine what you'll get inviting them to discuss religion!

I moderate on a forum and we basically keep it to a minimum. The most important thing I think we do is help with questions about the products and remove spam posts. It works well there.
  10. My-Q

My-Q New Member

The hardest part of moderating a religous board is keeping the Catholics and Baptists from fights. LOL! EVeryone else was peaceful. But, when you get those two together, the fight was on! :laugh2:
  11. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Personally, other than moving post around, I see no need for a moderator. Seems like Chris is doin just fine on his own. Unless he's overloaded and doesn't show it.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i agree... and i was just offering just in case, i was motivated by a less then legal link/reference and i was not aware of when Chris was on to remove it (you don;t want those things on the board too long i think) but in the mentioned case, the original poster removed it.
  13. chris

A number of you have notified me when there is an issue. I'm usually on my computer or checking email. There are maybe 1-2 hours per day that I might not be on my Mac and that's usually when I'm at a hockey game or trip to the gym. I'm always checking email and do my best to respond quickly. If you see spam, just use the report a post feature. That's the quickest way to get me. If you see someone behaving badly, then send me a PM. That's also a good way to get me ASAP. I get about 1,000 emails a day, most of which is garbage or steady forum notifications allowing me to keep an eye on things as best I can. When I see reported posts or PM's, I look into it immediately. This is definitely not an invitation for "personal help" via PM, as I find that counterproductive to the intent of the forum which is the "sharing of information".

Things that don't go over well here at EQ:
    • The Mobile Phone scammers/ spammers offering a list of 100 phones
    • Sites looking to self-promote. A tell-tale sign is when a members first post is about a "great site" ,etc, etc.
    • Any discussion asking for hacked, cracked or SN#'s
    • Foul language
    • Not treating members with respect
    • Not allowing new members to ask "newbie" questions. We all had our first day with the Q. It only makes sense they might have an entry level question. It's their first experience with their Q and EQ. Show them a solution and it becomes a positive experience. In time, new members become knowledgeable and start answering questions.
    Overall, that's how I go about moderating my sites. At the end of the day, the goal is the build a friendly, knowledgeable community where people feel comfortable exchanging information. By doing so, we can all get the most from our Q's.

-Chris
  14. chris

BTW, thank you for all the positive comments. I never get tired of seeing them. :laugh2:

-Chris
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Chris, let me say this you do a fine job here... and don't take me offering my 'services' as an indication that i think you are not doing a good job, because that is NOT how it was intended.

i am on more forum then this one but for sure this is the one with the least drama.
  16. scottjb

scottjb New Member

I think you've been successful at this. :laugh2:
    This is one of my "regular" sites that I like to visit.
  17. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Not only do I second the sentiment regarding the job Chris is doing . . . . the discussion about idiots on forums made me laugh.
  18. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Rudeboy, check your nose, got some brown stuff on it! (j/k!!)
  19. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Thanks for a great site!
  20. BoodaLuvr

BoodaLuvr New Member

You deserve a big victory cigar for making this site :tounge:. Without this site I would be lost with my Q. I would be just using as a phone and not knowing its true calling MP3/Phone/TV/Interent modem/etc. Thank you.