Adjusting Ring Duration/Length Before Voicemail Picks Up

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by DataWhat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. DataWhat

DataWhat New Member

Adjusting Ring Duration/Length Before Voicemail Picks Up

I poked around for an answer to this but couldn't find anything.

I have a ringtone that is a custom loop of a song (the first few bars of Radiohead's "No Surprises"), and I'd like it to repeat right after it ends (if that makes sense). The issue is that the ringtone is maybe 8 or 9 seconds long, it "rings" then there is a pause for 4 or 5 seconds, then rings again.

Is there any way to get it to loop continuously? By adjusting the duration of the ringtone? Or by making the silence between rings shorter?

I really like the "Increasing Ring" feature (where it starts out quiet and then gets louder as it rings), but the problem is that my long-ish ringtone only gets through one volume increase before going into voicemail. If I'm in the car, I don't hear it at all!

Anybody got any hacks on how to get this thing to loop while ringing?
  2. DataWhat

DataWhat New Member

HA! Got there myself.

Note to the Forums: I found a million posts saying that I would need a registry editor and where to get it, but there is really no step-by-step tutorial for noobs. Like "What files to copy from your PC" and "Where they should go on your phone" etc.

This is how I did it and I got it to work.

First I needed a Registry Editor (PHM worked for me...I ran the EXE and then copied all of the .CAB files to my My Documents folder on my phone, then ran them one at a time until "regedit.Stngr_ARM.CAB" worked for my Q. Then the PHM Registry Editor just appeared as one of the options when I go to my Start menu.)

Then I started PHM Registry Editor (on my phone) and navigated to HKey_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0
    hit "Values"
    navigated to "Script"
    and in the "Value Data" it said "c50apw3c150r" which (I think) translates to:
    Regular Volume = 50%
    Ring once
    Wait (Pause) for = 3 seconds
    Ring again at increase of 150%
    Repeat

I changed it to
    "c50apw0c150r" (meaning that I wanted it to pause for zero seconds) and it works awesome. It doesn't exactly "loop" seamlessly, but it does allow enough rings so that the volume increases and I can hear it in my car.

There are some good examples for another phone/PDA Here (under "Phone Settings" and listed below) and similar information Here (which as of Jan. 13 is not linked correctly on the first page of the Hacks topic).

Phone Settings

Phone Ringtone Script [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0]
    Change the value of "Script"
    Here's the code:
    a - stands for display
    r - repeat/replay the script again
    c - sets the volume C50, c150, c100
    f - means flash .. f1 flash for 1 second and f0 stands for flash continuously
    p -means play ringtone
    v- vibrate then incorporate with number to state how many seconds it will vibrate example. v3 vibrate for 3seconds or v0 for continous
    w - stands for wait or pause then specify how many seconds like w3(wait for 3 seconds)

Here's an example:
    Flash - af1w60f0
    Ring - apw3r
    Ring Once - ap
    Increasing Ring - c50apw3c150r
    Vibrate Then Ring - v3w3apw3r
    Vibrate - av3w3r
    Short Vibrate - av1w3r
    Vibrate Long Then Ring - v3w3v3w3apw3r
    Vibrate And Ring - av0pw3r
    Increasing Ring And Vibrate - c50apv3w3c150r
    Fast Vibrate And Flash - af1v1w1f0r
    Vibrate and Ring Continously without pausing - av0pr[/b]
  3. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Cannot help ya as I am not into ring tones but great song pick.

Trent
  4. MyVeryOwnQ

MyVeryOwnQ New Member

Need Registry software...Where do I find this PHM you speak of?

I need this PHM registry editor you speak of....Help! Can't find it in the forum.
    :frown:
  5. tll1975

tll1975 New Member

lose registry tweaks when switching profiles

whenever i or the phone (like when bluetooth is in use) switches profiles, i lose the registry tweaks. is there a way around this? btw...your info was super helpful. i set my Q up to vibrate for 10 sec!

6. tll1975

tll1975 New Member

save changes to registry

i am able to make changes to the registry (i've changed to vibrate length to 8 sec) but whenever the profile changes (ie: bluetooth connects and it automatically switches to Headset), the phone goes back to the original setting. is there any way to save the changes to the registry no matter what? odd though, i set the vibrate length for SMS and no matter what profile, it stays the same.
    so:
    1) maybe change the actual registry value of the "vibrate then ring" option so no matter what profile its on, it always vibrates the length i want
    2) delete the Headset profile all together
    3) any other suggestion?

thanks!
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Edit The Profile XML

You could try going into the \Application Data\Profiles folder and editing the XML files there. (If they aren't there, make a change to the profile you want to edit and that profile will show up there.) The XML files contain the same type of notification scripts that the registry has, and those scripts probably replace the ones in the registry (which makes sense and explains why changing the profile overrides your registry changes).

Editing XML is easy -- you can use a text editor. Make sure you don't mess up the syntax, though, because that could make the profile unusable (and you can't fix it using the Edit option, either), so test that you can edit the profile after you change it and also test that the changes work. If anything goes wrong, just delete the file in the \Application Data\Profiles folder and you'll get the original behavior back.

Of course, if you ever use the Profiles settings applet to edit the profile, it's possible that you might lose the edited scripts if it pulls the script from someplace else, but I'm not sure whether that will happen.

Steve