Adding unavailable text symbols

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by kephartt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. kephartt

kephartt New Member

Adding unavailable text symbols

All:

I'm a fairly new VZW Q9c owner, and I saw the "extra characters" technique (hitting FN+SPC after any key cycles through a list) for typing ASCII which isn't availble on the keyboard. However, I wanted to know whether you could add characters which still weren't available - and it turns out you can!

In the \Windows folder, there are files called "sym.[codepage].txt" (replace codepage with a 4-digit code) which contain the FN+SPC characters. The first character in each row is the default character, and the characters in succession to this are all available.

If you want to be able to type, for instance, a TradeMark symbol(™), just copy the file to your computer, open it in your favorite text editor, find the character you'd like to use for your symbol (I added TM to the t key), and tack it on to the end of that row.

Then save the symbol file, copy it back to your device, and you now have extended typing capabilities!

This is my first forum post here, and I tried to make sure this hack hadn't been posted before, but if it has, my apologies.

Travis K.
    --
    kephartt
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

nice, thanks Travis
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nice indeed.... thx.
  4. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Woah..neatm

thx!
  5. itz poly

itz poly New Member

Oooh very nice. Just got a link to this page, and thanks for the info. I never knew about this.