Activesync??

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by mgoltsch, Sep 8, 2007.

1. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hi mg,

With the understanding that this thread should try to stay on the topic of ActiveSync (and also that .cab are pretty well explained in other threads here), a .cab file is the format for applicatons that are designed for your phone, like .exe for your pc.

Copy/move the .cab file to your phone/sd card and run it from within the phone's File Manager.

Having said that, unless AS is working for you now, or you have managed to get the file to your sd card using one of the options suggested, I'm not sure we're there yet.

You say you got a "fail" notice. By what means did you try to access the file? If you tried to open it directly on your pc then a "fail" makes sense.

PFM3Q
  2. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

OK..... started new thread.... "Moving Files To Memory Card" we can sort it out there... i hope..... :)
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Master Reset

As I said, I really doubt that a Master Reset is necessary. If you don't mind reinstalling everything and customizing your phone again, and if your PIM data is backed up in Outlook (which it may not be since you can't use ActiveSync), it won't hurt, but it's probably not necessary.

As we've said before, all you probably need to do is use the password or PIN that you use to unlock your phone when ActiveSync asks for the password.

Steve
  4. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

i have tried that password.... and 1,423 others..... to no avail... i think i just may have some kind of virus here... lol .
    i will reset and try from scratch... and yes, (excellent info---) i DID copy my PIM file to my card..... thanks.... :wink:
  5. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

ok.... done.... master reset worked.... i have sync connection now....
    but... as always.. here's another question.. (come on now-- you expected this....) it says i need to install "OUTLOOK" to sync all my categories... (mail, contacts etc...).... where do i get "outlook"? and is it free? hmm..... maybe i just wasn't meant to sync.... lol

.............. but at least you guys are moving me forward... and i REALLY DO APPRECIATE THIS...... :2cool:
  6. AzureRay

AzureRay New Member

What error message do you get when you try to sync cause i think i am getting the same one
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Outlook comes with MS Office and no definately not free.

Have you been searching before asking, We're all glad to help if you can't find something but alot of what you've asked can be found by searching and reading. Lots of info on the site but it takes a little time and patience,

Also googleing will find a lot.
  8. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

no error message... i am now in sync... but only with certain pc options... not contacts etc.... after i reset my Q i tried to sync up... it walked me thru the wizard... but it said i need "outlook to be installed" to get full use of sync.... now i need to do that.....
  9. AzureRay

AzureRay New Member

10. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

yes... i really did search before asking.... for a full day and a half.... to no avail. i tried all the ideas in the threads found on here.... but it still did not work.... (i do not really wish to mail back and forth and bother everyone here)... but i had nowhere else to turn... and on the other... i do have "outlook express" ... is that the same program? i opened it up and tried to use it thru there but it did not work.... ?? outlook must be another program?
  11. AzureRay

AzureRay New Member

My Mistake its not an error.
    its says Attention Required when i try to active sync
    and the green circle turns yellow and stops spinning
  12. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

That generally means that there is an issue syncing somthing to your Q. There should be an exclamation mark next to one of the sync choices in the main screen. Like right next to the words mail or exchange.

If you are using wireless sync to sync your mail and contacts to your corporate mail server then this is normal. Active sync when connected to your PC will try to use the internet connection on your pc and can not connect to your corporate server.

In any case click on the words attention required and it will tell you what is happening.
  13. AzureRay

AzureRay New Member

14. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

15. AzureRay

AzureRay New Member

16. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Outlook

No, Outlook Express is just an E-mail client. Outlook is a Personal Information Manager (PIM) that handles your contacts, calender, to-do list and E-mail.

Steve

P.S. I find it hard to believe that you searched for Outlook and found nothing describing it. I just did a search and the very first link was to Microsoft's Outlook page.
  18. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

what i was saying is that i DID search for clues to ACTIVESYNC and tried everything... even spent much of your and others time to try to fix.... to no avail.... except the MASTER RESET.... which one said would probably not be necessary.... but did the trick.... only then i said "and on the other"..... meaning "outlook".. i did not say i searched for days for outlook..... but here nor there, sometimes threads, websites -and everything else- can be very vague for the newcomer.... everyone says AS for active sync..... so i did not know if "outlook express" was outlook.... and NOWHERE did i find anything to answer my question.... not even microsoft sites...
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Outlook Express & Searching

Most people I've seen abbreviate Outlook Express as OE (especially if they know the difference between Outlook and OE).

DrQ asked whether you were searching after you asked about Outlook (he quoted that post), so your answer seemed to be saying that you had searched for that. Anyway, this thread is six pages long and your problem seems to be solved, so further discussion is probably not necessary unless you have more ActiveSync problems.

I appreciate that you've been generous using the Thanks button. :smile:

Steve
  20. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I know it's confusing for a newcomer and feels you're getting slammed when asked why you didn't search. But Steve did take the time to answer your question before asking if you searched for outlook vs outlook express.

This is also an explanation.

Steve didn't say a master reset wouldn't work but suggested you could solve your problem without doing that. Master reset is something we all hate to do but usually cleans up a lot.

I would probably have just said thanks and I that I'll search a little harder, even though my feelings would have been hurt also.

This isn't our job but we're all here to help each other.

Sir Frederick the Peacemaker