Activesync??

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by mgoltsch, Sep 8, 2007.

1. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

If by this you are referring to doing a search and purge 'after' using the Add and Remove feature, obviously you don't have enough knowledge of how programs can stay hooked to your PC even after you think you uninstalled it.

Some programs can easily be removed using the Add and Remove feature of Windows, but many, by design, leave sometimes many trace files on your PC....If you don't believe me try it nrext time you uninstall something from your PC. :wink:
  2. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Like I said, I just got my Q, but I'm not new to PCs. I'm under the impression that you can use your MiniSD card to transfer those downloaded programs from your PC to your Q. No real need for ActiveSync. That's what I figure and I think someone here answered that this was true. I still never got my MiniSD card so can't be 100% certain, but just on how storage card technology works, I'd say that is the case...:wink:
  3. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

i see what you're saying and it makes sense.... but... i have no card reader for my pc....... so that is out for now also..... but thanks... it's good to know i do have options in the future.

i just downloaded the newest AS version (4.5) and i'm gonna try it again... and again probably.... thanks... :)
  4. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

And I have no idea about this???? I'll ask again......

is there a way to delete and reinstall ActiveSync on my Q?

if i can do that, it may solve my troubles...........
  5. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

You actually don't need a card reader installed on your PC. You can get this MiniSD card with SDCard adapter, and then get something like this SD to USB adapter to read and write to your card with.

I just built a custom PC and decided not to install any card reader and opted for this instead for my needs. USB baby...LOL :wink:
  6. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Mgoltsch, When you turn off your phone and turn it on again, does it ask for a password? If so this is the password active sync is asking for.
  7. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hello MBK2,

I'll ignore the snipe and clarify my statement:

If, after one has uninstalled the offending program by normal means (Add/remove Programs), one wants to be extra extra sure, then go to Device Manager and make sure there is no reference to the hardware on the system.

As I said, I don't know if that would yield any success (thus the "untested" bit), but it is a more aggressive way to remove traces of the Q from the pc. Sure, deleting extra folders is fine, but deleting a folder will not update the Windows registry. You are taking a purely-software approach, whereas I am taking a hardware+software approach.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my point.

Best,
  8. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Well I felt that you sniped me and not the other way around. ActiveSync 'IS' a software, nothing in Device Manager will help delete it. Doing a search and purge will rid the 'software' competely from your system.
  9. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hello, MBK2.

I think I see where the confusion lie: I was quoting you in a previous post, but speaking to mgoltsch; I apologize for being less than clear.

I was saying, in my previous post, to do what you suggested and then consider my suggestion - I was piggybacking off of your comment but continuing to speak to the fella with the problem.

I will do my best to be more clear to whom I am speaking in the future.

Best,

By the way, I failed to read the last few posts on pg 2 before jumping to pg 3. Sloppy forum etiquette (on my part) to be sure.
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I haven't seen any slowdown of anything on any of my PC due to active sync unless your tethering of course.

The card reader approach is actually better and faster for music and videos but some program install from a PC .exe file and need activesync. Also if you want to sync your contact, calender, tasks, notes or anything else Activesync is required.
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I do the same sometimes and I don't think it wrong to address a comment and also respond to the OP as that who all of our posts are designed for.

I get the feeling that the problem lies on the Q side the Q sets up partnerships shown in Activesync/Menu/Options and can only maintain 2. Mine are setup as Windows PC and Windows PC 2. Active sync 4.5 might help but you may have to delete the previously created partnerships.

There is also a allow advanced network connection box on the PC side that might need checking or unchecking.

Report back and we'll (EQ) will get you through it.

Peace
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Wireless Sync & Installing Programs

I thought I answered that, at least partially. Wireless Sync allows syncing the PIM data (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, E-mail) on your Q (or in Outlook) with Verizon's servers. It is similar to ActiveSync, but does not work directly with your PC.

Wireless Sync won't allow you to install programs on your Q.

Installing programs can be done multiple ways, but the two most common are Installer EXEs and CAB files. Installer EXEs are programs you run on your PC that install the program on your Q over ActiveSync (so you will need ActiveSync to use them). CAB files are installers you just put on your Q (either via a memory card or downloading them directly) and run there.

Steve
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

ActiveSync on the Q

No, there isn't. If ActiveSync has somehow gotten corrupted on the Q, you'll have to do a Master Reset, but I doubt that's necessary.

Steve
  14. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

ok...... MASTER RESET....... what exactly does this do? will i loose any programs? i do not mind working a bit to set my personal parameters on my Q if the reset sets back to default.... do you think it may work? it seems like anyone who brings up MASTER RESET brings it up while cringing and shaking his head in disbelief..... is it that bad to have to do? lol...... is it like the Doomsday bomb?...... lol............... thanks again in advance.....
  15. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Verizon states that the Master Reset returns the Q back to exactly when you recieved it from them. Like when you first got it, you wouldn't need to re-activate it, but just that all programs you installed after will be wiped out.

I'm sure this holds true for all mobile carriers.
  16. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

nice info..... so what i may do is move all my newly installed and newly purchased programs to my memory card...... then reset..... sounds like my plan...... any last thoughts on this???? before i do it???? i'm gonna do it at round noon today then...... thanks....
  17. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Programs manually moved to storage card may not work properly. I would move the CABS to the storage card then after the master reset reinstall. As a point of information, a lot of programs can be installed to the memory card to save device memory. I put most on my card (34 apps total) and just put the ones that rely on the Q's databases on my Q. ie. calender, contacts, etc.
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i believe i posted a piece of software that allows you to moe programs to the storage card without uninstalling

i would find it but im on the road today

-Sent from my Q
  19. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

on to yet another question..... cab files? where do i find them to move them?
  20. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

and again..... how do i move them? i went to program files/gentmer (an alarm program) hit menu/file/move.... to storage card... it refused... said failed??? here we go again.......