Activesync??

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by mgoltsch, Sep 8, 2007.

1. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

Activesync??

i'm finally learning about this phone... then.... bang! i used sync to purchase an alarm program.... and i want to buy more.... but for some reason, i cannot sync up anymore. it asks for a password (i do not remember adding a password when starting up with activesync) so i do not know what to do? i try all options( including just pressing enter with no password entry) but to no avail. then, to make matters worse.. i am deleting garbage programs to free up space and by accident i deleted "sync client".. now i have no wireless sync... UGH!! ok. do i download wireless sync somewhere? verizon has a $19 monthly charge for it-- on their site!... how can i get it back without a monthly charge for that app? and what about activesync? how do i reset to default? will that work , then start new? if anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated... and once again-- upon giving info, start like this--- 1-phone on, 2-hit start , 3- etc.... i do not understand things like this---"ok, start by fluxing your ram indicator drive with the hippos ass..... lol..... i have no idea what some of these forums say sometimes...... lol
    thanks in advance..... MG
  2. .plaid

.plaid New Member

I'm not a Verizon user, but I do play one on TV, so....

My Sprint box included several manuals and 1 cd-rom with drivers and other software. On this cd is a copy that I use to install ActiveSync on my pc.

I don't know that the ActiveSync installation puts any sotware onto your phone, the solution you're looking for.

Try it. Can't hurt. I think.

Best,

PFM3Q
  3. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

thanks.... i did try to remove, then re-install the program but it did the same thing. do i need the sync client to use active sync? sync client, i think, is for wireless sync... what are the comparisons between active and wireless sync? do they work hand in hand? or are they stand-alone programs? wow..... more questions..... lol
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Relax

If you have a password or PIN on the Q, that's your ActiveSync password.

If you don't have one set, maybe ActiveSync got messed up. Delete your ActiveSync partnership, then reconnect your Q. That should allow you to get going.

Wireless Sync and ActiveSync are two separate programs. You don't need to run both to sync. In fact, I believe using Wireless Sync tries to get you to disable ActiveSync.

If you want to reinstall Wireless Sync, it's easy. Run \Windows\ClientProvision.exe on your Q. (You may have to show Hidden and System files to find it.)

Steve
  5. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

Above All---- Thanks For The Reply...
    now i'll move on.....

First dumb question.... please don't laugh.... How do i delete the active sync parntership? (in child terms please...) i did delete activesync from my computer and reinstalled it.... still it asks for a password. i try a password and all it does it stay in limbo trying to connect forever...
    Second dumb question.... hwere do i find windows\clientprovision.exe? i went to start, file manager, windows.... but there is no clientprovision in this file??? am i in the wrong spot?? i am clueless..... :angry:
  6. .plaid

.plaid New Member

As Steve mentions, this file is on the phone itself. On the Q, to find the .exe file:

Start->File Manager->Menu->Options->uncheck Hide Hidden Files & Hide System Files. Then (in File Manager) browse to the path Steve provided (\Windows\) and run the .exe.

This is for Wireless Sync; I doubt that this will fix the password issue with ActiveSync, but it should allow you to side-step ActiveSync altogether.

Keep us posted as to your progress....

Best,
  7. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

EUREKA!!!!

This is boggling my mind how you guys pick this Q apart and know this sh%*.... just amazing!! Thanks!!! got wireless sync back. now i'm on to trying the activesync log-on again... gonna try deleting the program from my PC and re-installing it again... hopefully it will let me reconfigure from scratch.... and set it up again....

THANKS!!!! :2cool:
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Deleting Your Partnership

To delete a partnership, do the following.
    1. Open ActiveSync on your PC. Don't have your device connected!
    2. Click the File menu.
    3. Click the Delete Mobile Device action. (If you have more than one Windows Mobile device, make sure your Q is selected in the Mobile Device sub-menu.)
    4. If you're prompted to confirm, follow the prompts.
    However, before you do that, do you have a password or PIN set on your Q? If so, read what I said in my first post -- that's the password you use in ActiveSync.

Steve

P.S. Don't forget to click the Thanks button at the bottom of the posts that helped you and/or boost people's reputation (see my signature for details).
  9. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

when you mean password on my Q, the only one that i have is the device/keypad lock.... which i set.... and i do know (yea- go ahead and chuckle.. i actually do know something) is that the password? or is there another?.... such as the last 4 of my cell number???.... hmmmm
  10. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

and after deleting my partnership.... is it basic info to renew, or make a new partnership with my Q? or do i need a physics class?
  11. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Well a physics class never hurt anybody (unless they were a human target in the lab that covers projectile motion!), but you ought'nt need one for this case.

Caveat: I don't use Wireless Sync so I don't know how a Wireless partnership might trump the steps below....

With the ActiveSync partnership properly deleted, plug your phone in to the USB cable. That was the hard part. AS will detect your phone and create a new partnership. Done. It sounds like a password will not be needed as you only mention the one to unlock your phone.

Like many physicists (and yes, I am one) a lot of what I say is theory; to know if something really works experiments need to be performed and data need to be collected. That's where you come in. =]

Keep us updated,
  12. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

ok.... here goes again... deleted program from computer again. re-installed it. now i do as it says... plug cable into computer... turn on phone... plug phone in.... it asks me for my pin... i enter it... and it keeps searching for sync... but my phone is still not partnered!! UUGGHHH!!! how do i parnter my Q?? it will not do it automatically for some reason.... my phone sometimes has an error msg on the sync screen... (where it normally says "connecting") but i can't get it to do it now. but it will not partner....

i'm gonna have to start paying for this help sometime... aren't I ???

lol
  13. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Doesn't sound like to there's much to pay for yet....

So everything is good up to this point, yeah? I had started to wonder if maybe the physical connection had gone south (the cable or the ports at either end), but the pc knows that something is plugged in and AS knows enough to ask for the password....

I did some Googlizing and have seen others unable to partner their phone using ActiveSync, and nary a solution found. I'm tempted to encourage you to install AS on a different computer to see what happens....

Error messages are good, inasmuch as they are helpful. Obviously Googling "your device ist kaput. Error 3a7x000c" is much better than "smartphone will not partner" or some such.

Don't give up the fight, mgoltsch.

Best,
  14. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

ok.......... moving forward... i think :foot:
    i installed AS on my laptop... same thing.... is there a way to delete and reinstall AS on my Q? there may lie the problem......... it sees no partnership. then it asks for a password (saying phone is password protected)... i enter one/then another/and.... to no avail... when i put in password, it stays in "trying to sync" mode for 10, 20, 30 or more minutes..:angry:.. next i buy a new Q?? it may be the actual phone (but probably just the AS program) ... can i delete AS and reinstall? how and where do i find the program to delete? and the program to install? gee wizzzzzzz......:gasp:
    ............. 1 more thing.... when i first used AS... it did work... the first time only... after that, no-go. tried to use it and this is what i am getting. but i did sync up and it worked initally.............
  15. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Don't know if this will help since I'm a new owner and still learning everything Q..., but I have already done quite a bit with the Q. Your firewall on your desktop and laptop, are you allowing ActiveSync access in/out? My Zonealarm prompts me that ActiveStnc is requesting in/out access and if I deny it, my Q cannot connect to either my desktop or laptop. If I grant it access, whalla!! it connects.

Hopefully that helps.

Also, as for the password for activesync, it is the same as your Q's device lock password.

BTW, I have already seen that ActiveSync really bogs down IE7. Once I uninstall ActiveSync my IE7 becomes blazing fast again. So I personally will probably only use the MiniSD card to do any tranferring of files between my PCs and my Q. Just waiting for my 2 Gig Kingston MiniSD card to come in from Newegg.com....got it for $20 bucks!...:wink:
  16. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

[
    BTW, I have already seen that ActiveSync really bogs down IE7. Once I uninstall ActiveSync my IE7 becomes blazing fast again. So I personally will probably only use the MiniSD card to do any tranferring of files between my PCs and my Q. Just waiting for my 2 Gig Kingston MiniSD card to come in from Newegg.com....got it for $20 bucks!...:wink:[/quote]

thanks for the info..... firewall is off and still not workin.... good idea to check though..... and my problem is that i really DO wanna sync with my pc.... .......... maybe some day... lol

AND

IE7?? what is that? now i sound like a REAL know it all..... lol.
  17. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

OK, well if firewall is off and still not connecting....when you uninstall ActiveSync, do you do it only with Add and Remove function? If so, try doing a search of your 'My Computer' for activesync after Add & Remove and delete the trace folder that comes up. Perhaps that trace folder is remembering the old install. After that do a clean reinstall of activesync and follow the ActiveSync installation prompts.

As for IE7, that would be Internet Explorer 7, your web browser, unless you use FireFox...:smile:
  18. .plaid

.plaid New Member

*untried & unverified - only a maneuver for the desperate* Along with the above, I also read a suggestion to remove any traces of the phone in Device Manager on the pc and begin again (for what? the fourth time?).

But I gotta ask, friend, why are you beating yourself up over this? Didn't you find that Wireless Sync worked for you?

Best,
  19. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Waht exactly are you talking about, you aren't making yourself clear on what you're talking to me about??
    As for removing any traces of the phone from Device Manager...who said that??

I'm trying to help mgoltsch to get his ActiveStnc working since he wants it, what are you talking about beating myself up over this???
  20. mgoltsch

mgoltsch New Member

good question.... i thought i had asked before... but here goes again.... what IS wireless sync? and how does it work? will it do all the same things? i want to buy and download programs from this site to my pc and then push them to my Q... if i can do it that way, sure..... tell away..........:laugh2: