activesync/xp sync problem

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by teamlinx, Jul 12, 2006.

1. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

activesync/xp sync problem

i went through the forum and didn't find a topic so if its already been discussed/solved just point me in the right direction.

i installed activesync 4.1 on winxp and it worked the first day just fine. after that it would not connect anymore. i had mcafee installed so i went through my firewall to free the ports it used and to allow all the .exe files as allowed applications but nothing. i even tried uninstalling mcafee and activesync and reinstalling activesync but that didn't work either.

anyone ran across this ?

-jesse
  2. nycebo

nycebo New Member

Had the same problem last night, but in fairness, I was using version 4.2beta. I ended up "Repairing" the installation with the installation program. It seemed to fix the problem, but I'm keen to uninstall everything and install 4.1 and stick with it until everythings 'seems' worked out.
  3. DestinationQ

DestinationQ New Member

Active Sync 4.2 is actually out now and it works MUCH better with the Q, phones that wouldn't connect before now connect no problem, also the tethering ability to use the internet from your PC/laptop didn't work with the previous version and now it works completely. I'd deffinately give 4.2 a try now and we've got it on all our laptops in our shop and haven't had a single problem with it yet. Goodluck getting it working
  4. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

ok where can i find 4.2 final version
  5. mag703

mag703 New Member

6. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

ok i dl'd activesync 4.2. i checked mcafee and windows firewall and both are allowing activesync as exceptions and they are checked.

still isn't connecting though.
    anything i could be missing?
  7. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

does no one else have this problem? i've ran into others who have syncing problems and i can't figure it out. i've tried everything i know of and im pretty computer literate
  8. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

For some reason, ActiveSync v4.2 is sensitive with USB. There are many posts around the Internet on this problem, but no single solution. v4.2 would sync perfectly on my laptop all day long at work. But at home, the same laptop and same cradle would sync 1 or 2 times but if you took the Q out of the cradle and put it back in, it wouldn't connect. The only difference between my office and home setups are the USB hubs I use.

To make matters worse, it wasn't just ActiveSync that broke. I would try to put my USB MiniSD card reader into ANY USB port, and it wouldn't work. Reboot the laptop and all would be good (for a short time).

I went back to ActiveSync 4.1. I should have known better, especially with ActiveSync's track history, to try and fix something that wasn't broken.
  9. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

that's the weird thing. it worked the first time but won't work now. i've tried every solution i've read about and it still won't sync :(
  10. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Even after a reboot? Have you tried uninstalling ActiveSync 4.2 and reinstalling v4.1 from the Q's CD?

BTW, you can't easily downgrade from 4.2 to 4.1. You have to uninstall 4.2 and then install 4.1 (sometimes a reboot is required). To make matters worse, you sometimes have to delete the partnership with the Q from Activesync. And it is always best to delete it on the Q.

Bottom line right now, I would not recommend that anybody upgrade their ActiveSync to v4.2 if v4.1 is working fine.
  11. teamlinx

teamlinx New Member

i have tried 4.1 and 4.2 uninstalling them before installing the new version. The cd for some reason crashes my hard drive when I try to install it.
    (after a reboot too)

running a dell winxp. its so frustrating.
  12. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Did you mean to say that they should not upgrade to v4.2 if v4.1 is working fine?Huh?
  13. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Good catch. I edited the post.