activesync or other with linux?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by tom5ohh, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tom5ohh

tom5ohh New Member

activesync or other with linux?

anyone have any experience with syncing or just general browsing within linux?
    more specificaly FedoraCore8, a redhat distro...
  2. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

do a search for "linux"..

potQ.
  4. gdiepen

gdiepen New Member

Yes ;)

I am one of the developpers of SynCE (http://www.synce.org/). This project does take care of some things:
    * With gnome and KDE you can browse the contents of your wm5/wm6 phone through a kioslave/vfs. Unfortunately the KIO slave is not packaged separately at the moment, we are working on that
    * Handle password locked devices
    * Provide communcation that emulates ActiveSync. The sync-engine will retrieve all information from the phone regarding the sync-items and will present this information to the opensync library for the actual syncing with your PIM program (Evolution/KDE PIM)

Currently this all is working and last week we had our new 0.11 release. One other program that I am currently working on is SynCE-KPM (KDE PDA Manager) which is a graphical PDA manager for KDE. No official release of this program is out yet, still only SVN checkouts available. Screenshots and the progress of SynCE-KPM can be found at my homepage.

Finally, regarding your last note about Fedora, there are people working on getting the whole project in fedora Rawhide. Some success has been booked with that already, unfortunately I don't know what the exact current status is.
  5. gdiepen

gdiepen New Member

Ok, I have more information regarding Fedora. On the page:
    http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceInstallation/Fedora
    you can find more information about the current status of the packages in Fedora and how you can install everything in Fedora.
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I was going to say synce also, but I've not been able to get it to work on my system. The source always errors out during compile and I've not found any slackware packages pre-compiled yet.
  7. gdiepen

gdiepen New Member

Could you please tell me when you tried this and with which source versions and which guide you used? And preferably also the erros you are getting? :) We really want to improve the project and any feedback regarding errors is always appreciated to help and improve it ;)

Unfortunately we don't have anybody that can do slackware packaging, because I don't think anybody is using that. We currently are working on the packages for Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora Rawhide/Opensuse.
  8. gdiepen

gdiepen New Member

Major update SynCE-KPM

I know it is a bit of a long kick, but since the original question was regarding ActiveSync for Linux I would like to point out that the latest SVN release of SynCE-KPM is getting closer to ActiveSync :)

First screenshot shows the progress of copying a CAB file to the device before it can be installed:
    [​IMG]

The second screenshot you can see that the progress is shown for an activesync session that is currently in progress:

[​IMG]

Since most of the things are a bit dynamic, I also created a screencast of the program in action. The screencast shows a device being connected, a CAB file being installed on the device, an activesync partnership being created, and finally the progress of an ActiveSync session going on.

You can find this screencast on my website:
    http://www.guidodiepen.nl/2008/03/24/major-update-of-synce-kpm-now-even-better-than-before/
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

seems like it's connected to a PPC ?
  10. gdiepen

gdiepen New Member

Yes, because I myself don't own a MotoQ. The thing is that a MotoQ is a Windows Mobile device and the SynCE project family (including SynCE-KPM) is made for talking to Windows Mobile 5/6 (originally 2003, but we now have better support for 5/6) from Linux.

There is one major difference with the MotoQ devices though, compared to the default settings they use different IP addresses. How to overcome this problem is explained on the www.synce.org website though.