Active Sync Woes - outlook.pst is in use or Support code:85010014

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by rogeru, May 3, 2008.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I did ask him to remove the partnerships earlier on but I didn't specify, assuming it was understood. So if that hasn't been done, obviously do that first. thanks.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I thought I'd just throw it out there. That was my experience. No one told me about the phone part either. Hope everything works out. You seem to know your stuff guardian. Ill be following your posts. I could learn a lot from you. :smile:
  3. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thank you, I appreciate that. I just know what I know and it has come from years of trial and error and watching people much better than myself. I am glad if I can share a bit of it with others and helps them out. One good turn deserves another right?
  4. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Sorry fellers but I did not realize that aspect of Active sync.
    OK I removed the Outlook updates (except for SP1), deleted the partnerships from both sides, went offline, turned off AVG, rebooted. Started Outlook, connected the Q9h, set up a new partnership, did a sync.

Result: Well the good new is the Outlook.pst file is no longer getting locked. But I am still getting "Support code:85010014" as a Sync status and no contacts or calendar events are getting transferred to the Q.

What should I try next?
  5. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

Have you tried a different USB port?
  6. rogeru

rogeru New Member

I don't see how that would be pertinent. The USB port works for other devices ( Flash Drive,etc). And the Q did sync up on a laptop using an older version of Outlook, so I know it's USB port is ok.
  7. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

Well, trying another port is a quick way to eliminate two possible sources of error:
    1.) Physical issue - Microsoft seems to want to blame hardware for this problem (which has been reported for many PDA's. Additionally, I have seen USB issues with other phone devices that are critical enough that some functions require the interface to be a direct port as opposed to a USB hub port. (Maybe a power issue?)
    2.) USB Driver Issues. (Windows has been known to leave 'stuff' behind that 'contaminates' functions.) The only way to ensure that there is no bad data associated with the USB port you are using would be to delete the port (and associated drivers) and then have your PC reinstall ALL the USB drivers for that particular port.

Anyway, it was just a thought. You asked for suggestions.
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

USB cable is not pertinent. I just got off the phone with a friend that works at M$ and he said to try this and then get back to him. The order is supposedly important:

1. delete partnership on device (while not connected)
    2. delete it on the laptop/desktop
    3. reboot the machine in safe mode
    4. run SCANPST
    Office 2003 (SCANPST.exe is in the \Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 subdirectory) and Office 2007 (SCANPST.exe is in the \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12 subdirectory)
    5. repeat until it no longer shows any errors found
    6. reboot into normal mode
    7. load outlook and click "Office Diagnostics" from inside the About menu
    8. complete it until it no longer shows any errors
    9. restart Outlook
    10. connect your device and get a partnership setup
    11. check to make sure everything you need sync is selected
    12. fire up the sync and see what happens

(it was also suggested that you have no Antispam (Norton, McAfee, AVG, OneCare, Spybot TeaTimer)/Antivirus/Defragment software (such as Diskeeper) or anything that will block processes.

Also, the trying of using another USB port is not a bad idea, that might actually help too, there are occasions where USB ports getting "corrupted" and act funny.
  9. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Thanks I have printed that out and will try it in order.

I do have some contacts I would like to keep on my phone form my laptop partnership. The laptop partnership works and it's presence or ascence does not affect the problems on my desktop PC - so would it be ok to leave the laptop partnership in place - I need to have my phone book (transferred from my old Motorola phone to outlook 2003 on the laptop) on the Q9 for business.
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Honestly I don't know how that will/might interfere. Honestly can't say for sure. Try with it intact and see but that might be part of the problem, the sync with one is 2003 and the other is 2007, totally different PST structures, but as I said, I can't say for sure so try what your best judgment tells you.
  11. rogeru

rogeru New Member

OK here are the results.

1. delete partnership on device (while not connected) OK
    2. delete it on the laptop/desktop OK
    3. reboot the machine in safe mode OK
    4. run SCANPST5. repeat until it no longer shows any errors found
    6. reboot into normal mode Run 1 Fixed "minor inconsistencies". Run 2 was clean.
    7. load outlook and click "Office Diagnostics" from inside the About menu Actually Diagnostics are under the Help Window.
    8. complete it until it no longer shows any errors Ran Once , 0 problems found, 0 items fixed.
    9. restart Outlook OK
    10. connect your device and get a partnership setup OK
    11. check to make sure everything you need sync is selected OK
    12. fire up the sync and see what happens Support code:85010014 (sigh)

Please note I used a "fresh" USB port and and had AVG resident shield disabled and was offline during all the above. I have no Anti SPyware or Defrag etc software running in background.

I wonder if I have to go back to Outlook 2003 since M$ has made such a house of cards of their software.

12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

wow. Yes I know its under help but I mistyped since that's where the about is too, sorry. Honestly, short of sitting in front of it and messing with it, I can't think of anything else sight unseen. If you have the option to uninstall outlook and then re-install it, 15% of the problems reported with this code tend to get fixed. Not great odds but at this point that's all I gots left (sigh), sorry it didn't get fixed, I am very disappointed, not like me to lose a fix like this :( and I am sure its a bitch on you too. let me know if there is anything else.
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If I could throw in something else. You both mentioned turning off virus scans and such on the pc. Do you have McAfee installed in your phone. I know I've had problems downloading from Opera when I had that running in my phone. Is it possible that this can cause sync problems as well?
  14. rogeru

rogeru New Member

I do have Mcafee on the phone. What do you think Guardian?
  15. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well I have not personally known it to be an issue; however, at this point anything is possible and to be on the safe side, maybe you could disable the active monitoring feature of it.

Menu -> Configure Options -> Uncheck "Enable real-time scan" and also "Scan storage card on insertion"

save and reboot it and then try. It does no harm to disable it for the time being and re-enable later. You are not at risk there, try it and see. Integrate this with the previous instructions and see what happens. Good luck.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I have had problems with mcaffee on my phone in the past. So I removed the program since then. If disabling the features that guardian mentioned doesn't work, I suggest taking it a step further and removing mcaffee all together from your phone. Goodluck! {crossing my fingers} Unsure
  17. rogeru

rogeru New Member

McAffee does not appear to be installed - when I accessed it it opened the MVSInstall.CAB - and I declined it.
  18. rogeru

rogeru New Member

I am going to uninstall/reinstall Outlook and see if that works.

You know I had a b**tleg copy of Outlk2003 on my laptop and it worked there. So I did the right thing and BOUGHT Outlook2007 - and it doesn't work - I guess "no good deed goes unpunished".
  19. rogeru

rogeru New Member

OK

I did a fresh reinstall. Still getting the same Support Code bull chit.

Micro$oft should be ashamed....
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Last reosrt: have you done a master clear yet?