Active Sync Woes - outlook.pst is in use or Support code:85010014

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by rogeru, May 3, 2008.

1. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Active Sync Woes - outlook.pst is in use or Support code:85010014

Running:
    -----------------------
    Windows XP Pro with all the latest updates
    ActiveSync 4.5.0 Build (5096)
    MS Outlook 2007 (12.0.6300.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000)
    AVG Anti virus version 7.5.524

Problem Description:
    -------------------------
    If I have Outlook 2007 running, and then I plug in my Q9h, it syncs, then shows a status of "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop. Support code:85010014". Everything seems to sync except calendar entries.

If I have the Q9h connected and active sync running , and Outlook 2007 is NOT running, I don't get any warnings/status msgs from Active sync. BUT when I start up Outlook 2007 it says "The file C:\WINDOWS\outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, blah blah blah..."

I have tried turning off AVG, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Outlook 2007 and Active Sync. Same problem. (I have AVG email certification turning off because of the "wipe your emails blank in Outlook" problem - which is another issue.)

[Edit: I'd also tried HELP, OFFICE DIAGNOSTICS in Outlook 2007. It didn't find anything, nor did it fix the problem.]

Thanks in advance for your help / advice.

P.S. : Is it just me or do we put up with bugs/incompatibilities in the software world that we would tolerate NO WHERE else? These problems are easily found by a little TESTING, and you know they are not obscure when you can Google and see everyone else is encountering them, or some form of them.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

have you tried to delete the partnetship with the Q in active sync on the PC?
  3. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I had problems with AVG running. Same programs except Vista OS instead of WinXPPro.
    Would not sync until I turned AVG 'OFF' - every time.
    I replaced AVG with another anti-virus program (Avira) and my problem went away.
  4. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I have had this exact problem except on a Vista and here is the funny part, it has nothing to do with your OS. Its a freakin 2007 issue with its "wonderful" security crap that acts funny.

I honestly don't know how to help you with that on XP since I was told basically by M$ to "just upgrade to vista and use WMDC and you will be fine" which is the biggest load of crap tech support can shovel your way.

So I moved it from my desktop running XP MCE to my laptop running vista x64 ultimate and upgraded the WMDC software and set it up and to no freakin surprise, it didn't work. So I contacted them back and told them that they are full of $hi* and they said that somehow I corrupted the partnership.

So I followed these instructions and it worked (but it was on vista using WMDC instead of ActiveSync). 1) delete relationships and remove all backup and old profile files. 2) reset your phone to original factory default so it has no settings on it. 3) make sure you have your outlook OPEN and logged in and whatever, 4) connect the phone and follow instructions to setup a partnership (with outlook open) and then the permissions will setup right to communicate. It might prompt you for passwords if your PST is password protected and I would recommend telling the sync to remember the password. That's it.

Good luck and and hope it works for you.
  5. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Yes I have. Same symptoms.

Contacts, Tasks and Favs, all sync up. Calendar does not xfer from Outlook to Q9h.

I should be able to start Outlook 2007 when Activesync is running , yes?
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

If you have outlook running already, it might ask you for permission and you allow it and then you are good. If you don't have it running, the sync actually opens it up in memory without the interface, so when you run it during the sync, you are not RE-running it, you are just opening the interface, so yes you can open your outlook.

Also, keep in mind that based on the PST structure (which M$ guards very closely but has been reverse engineered enough so we know), the calendar and the rest are on two different threads. So that's why if you have a password on your PST, you will usually get prompted TWICE for it during any SYNC or even a simple PST file import.

If you have no password on your PST, it might ask you for permission saying another application wants access, do you grant? you say yes and specify a time frame and you are good to go. If you have a password, it will prompt you for the password (generally twice) and then it will automatically know it has access and proceed. Good luck.
  7. igotaq

igotaq New Member

I've fixed the 85010014 support code by doing Help-Detect and repair in outlook 07. This was the only way i got it to work.
    It has helped others before too.
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

thank you for the post. try this first and see, it might do it for you. If not then do the hard way. good luck.
  9. rogeru

rogeru New Member

igo & Guard - thanks for the suggestion but I'd forgot to mention that I already tried HELP, OFFICE DIAGNOSTICS. It didn't find anything, nor did it fix it.,
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I had assumed that before my post and that's why I didn't say anything but heck anything is possible so figured might be worth trying first. But you already have as I thought, so unfortunately the hard way for you it is my friend. Sorry.
  11. igotaq

igotaq New Member

You might also want to try to run Scanpst on your pst.

Just search for scanpst.exe on your hard drive. Once you find it, open and and point it to your .pst file then click start. It will fix any errors with the pst files. then try to sync again.
  12. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Guardian - I did try deleteing the relationship and creating a new one. SO I will try "the hard way " as listed above.

1) Would you please explain which old backup and profile files you mean and where they might be?

2) I have many manually entered contacts and a few addins in my Qh already. So I have to wipe them when I go to factory defaults? bummer

The rest is clear.

Thanks.
  13. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

The old backups are the one that is made when you setup the partnership. Usually if its not deleted, the next time it sees a mobile device, it will load THAT instead first and that could cause a problem. Its in the sync folder and should be easy enough to find.

As for the contacts on the device, normally it wouldn't matter and it would sync it and no problem but to be on the safe side and perhaps overkill, it was part of the steps that helped me so I would suggest doing it, but its up to you.

good luck.
  14. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Thanks for the suggestion - I did run Scanpst and it said it did fix some problems in the PST file. Then I deleted the Active sync partnership, started Outlook 2007, connected the Q9h, established a new profile, and .. same damn thing.:frown:
  15. rogeru

rogeru New Member

When I delete the Mobile device partnership in Activesync, the files in the following directory are deleted:
    C:\Documents and Settings\DU\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\WM_DU

DU is my username on the PC and WM_DU is the name of the mobile device.

Is there something more I should delete -to start with a clean Partnership and profile? I searched for the Devicename and the Profilename I was using - the only thoing I could find was in thedirectory shown above.

Shortly I will post what else I have tried - still no success though.:angry:
  16. rogeru

rogeru New Member

OK here's what else I have tried.

Turned off AVG.
    Deleted the Mobile device in Activesync - OK.
    Ran Office Diagnostics. - OK
    Ran Scanpst.exe on Outlook.pst - OK
    I deleted ALL the appts/events in my calendar (there were several hundred I had ported in fron my Palm)
    Did a hard Reset (sob!) - OK
    Started Outlook.- OK
    Connected the Q9h.-OK
    Established a new Partnership, unchecked Calendar under the sync appslist-OK
    Let it Sync without the Calendar - samme damnnnnn problem Status shows: "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop. Support code:85010014"

Just for the halibut, I activated the calendar link - no difference.
    Arggghh!
  17. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I am sorry to tell you this but its the unfortunate disparity of 2007 technology and old ActiveSync (pre-vista) software. Some people have no problem getting it to work and they are the lucky ones and most end up with problems.

Even in the first generation beta version of WMDC (vista's version of the activesync) there was some issues with 2007 and as of now I am certain they have corrected the problem with release version of WMDC and SP1 2007.

See if you can get a hold of the RTM or even the public release of 2007 SP1 and apply it to see if it resolves your problem. If not, then do the least favorite of all the fixes which at first is annoying but after you get it working you will be fine.

1. Remove your partnership
    2. Remove all of the Outlook "Security" whatever patches in the add/remove (don't worry about this, you will put it back, its temporary)
    3. Reboot and make sure windows update doesn't silently put it all back
    4. Open your outlook
    5. Connect your device
    6. Setup the partnership
    7. Get at least one good sync and then disconnect your device
    8. Close down your outlook
    9. Do a windows update and put all the security patches back
    10. Reboot and you should be fine.

this was ironically the same fix we had to do to get the Outlook conduit to work with Palm at one point and also Lotus Notes. Something in one of those patches which we never narrowed down was causing the problem. Once removed, it allowed the setup to proceed without being messed with and then it was all fine, even after the patches were reapplied.

good luck.
  18. rogeru

rogeru New Member

Guard thanks for yor continued help.

Umm what's RTM?
    I do have Office SP1 applied. I will try taking out the security fixes u mentioned. I suppose I should leave my AVG turned off while doing all this?
  19. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

My apologies, as a developer for more than a decade and half, I forget that some terms may not be familiar to others. RTM is a term that M$ uses meaning Release to Manufacturing which basically means its ready for the public but it gets to professionals and developers like myself about 3-6 months before the public though MSDN Universal. The SP1 has already been released and you obviously have it which is good.

Just proceed with the removal of the security patches, having AVG on or off shouldn't matter but never hurts for good measure but in the meantime, make sure you are offline so you don't expose yourself to anything incidentally. When you are done and operational, then you can get back online with your AVG in effect and then re-install the patches which should appear in windows update again but if not you can force them through office update.

good luck and if I can be of help, I will stay with you until we exhaust our options.
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I might have missed you mentioning this, but did you remove the relationship on BOTH pc and phone? The profile needs to be removed on both.

In active sync (phone) > menu > options > {highlight profile} > menu > delete.

In active sync (pc) > delete mobile device (if you have synced folders, it will ask if you want to delete it, click no)

Restart both phone and pc (just to make sure) and try syncing again.