Active Sync problems HELP! with Contacts

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by ctab, Jan 30, 2008.

1. ctab

ctab New Member

Active Sync problems HELP! with Contacts

Gonna try again...
    I have the Q9M, Outlook 2007, Windows XP. Just got the Q9m in Dec.
    Active Sync will not sync any of the menu items (contacts, tasks, etc.) Just hangs saying syncing. I can click on explore and add & remove files (CAB files, WMP, JPG. you name it) on the phone. I cannot get it to complete syncing. I have read many threads until I am blind! Done it all I think....
    Removed the firewall. Reinstalled Active Sync. Reinstalled Office 2007.
    ALL I WANT TO DO IT IS COPY THE CONTACTS TO LAPTOP, EDIT CONTACTS ON THE COMPUTER AND PUT THEM BACK ON THE PHONE!
    Is there a program that allows that or has any one figured out a way to edit the pim.vol file without crashing the phone?
    I have given up on Active Sync being good for anything else!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

how long do you let it sync for?
    the first sync normally takes a long time...atleast longer than the other syncs since the next syncs already have all the data and it just looks for updates...

if you have lots of contacts and appts...it will take sometime...
  3. n99hockey

also....only 1 thread is required for this topic...
    do not start another thread with the same issue...
    your other thread has been deleted
  4. ctab

ctab New Member

Ative Sync problems - Contacts

I have left it for over an hour and Nada! :(
    I posted on another forum because I figured people might not necessarily go from one forum to the other.
    Anyway, thanks for replying so quickly. I have may 70 contacts not 100's. :)
    I don't use it for business so no appt's or tasks really. No files are scheduled for transfer either. One person said it could be the cable, but if that was the case, would I be able to click on the Explore button and browse the phone?
  5. n99hockey

on active sync on the pc go to...

file
    delete partnership

then sync again
  6. ctab

ctab New Member

Active sync problems

Thanks Scott.
    Giving it a try now...
    Nope left it for 45 minutes no luck :((
  7. n99hockey

ok post back!
  8. ctab

ctab New Member

Active Sync hangs need contact help

Nope :(( No luck after 45 minutes...
  9. ctab

ctab New Member

Active Sync hangs need contact help

LOL I failed to mention that I can't edit almost all settings as they are greyed out! (I right click on Contacts for ex and "Settings" is grey). Also all Advanced Tools are greyed out. Almost all of "Tools" are greyed out "Options, Schedule, Security, Add Server Source" are all greyed out. Under File, Mobile Device is grey. So now what?
    As always I appreciate your help!
    Going to bang head against desk..
    [headdesk headdesk headdesk]
  10. n99hockey

have you 'activated' outlook yet? meaning started up the program...or are all the contacts and crap on your phone trying to get to the PC
  11. erupert

erupert New Member

What about the driver for the motorola? I know that I had to load drivers for VZW Access (using the phone as a modem) and can't remember if that was also required to get the device recognized. If you aren't getting a green, it's not seeing the device as an available device. Oh, just thought of something else, if you are using the phone as a modem or with VZW wireless sync, there are some activesync specific settings. Let me know if you have either one of them configured.

Modem - if you are using as a modem - (Accessories, Modem Link). Make sure that it's status is "inactive". If it's active, I think that it blocks activesync.

VZW Sync - In settings, the bottom option is "Activesync". Make sure that it's set to "enabled". the other choices are "disabled" and "ask every time".

Trying to think of other places that might interfere. did you configure bluetooth as a sync option? I don't use that one but it could interfere with the wired conn.

last thing - when you are connected, even if the box is gray, can you go to "my computer" and see the mobile device and explore on it?
  12. cockneyyardie

cockneyyardie New Member

13. n99hockey

not sure about that...i dont use an exchange server
  14. headgamer

headgamer New Member

Well, my wife is having the same problem. She has XP, Outlook 2007, and a Q9M... and contacts never sync to the PC.We have transferred a lot of contacts from her old phone to the Q via bluetooth, but none get sync'ed to the PC. ActiveSync shows no errors, and says everything syncs fine. But no contacts. I had not realized this, and after completing the Motorola Software update for the Q9M today, we both realized it then when all her contacts were gone.

I have searched the forums (I am not very good at searching) and have found nothing that has really answered this question.

TIA!

Sean
  15. Gregoryrd

Gregoryrd New Member

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem, transfered contact by BT! Do I need to open outlook on the phone?

Rod
  16. hartenstein

hartenstein New Member

This is my 2nd Q after trying Bberry again. I have tried to use ActiveSync and have the tech support help set it up. It took 4 to 5 hours and they still couldnt do it. I am on an Exchange server and my IT guys bypassed the whole process of activesync. My contacts,email,tasks,notes all sync wireless directly with the exchange server. Dont need to connect hard wire, dont need PC monitor and my computer does not need to be on. Sounds to me like you might need to contact Motorola direct.