Activating on Verizon

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by astrocramp, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took New Member

I recently purchased a Q9N / A4500 from another user who had the phone working fine. When I tried to activate the phone however I was told the phone was e911 non-compliant. I'm now in the process of getting it sorted out.

I'm bumping this thread and this post in particular because with the Droid coming on to the market there might be a lot of people selling Napoleons, and other people trying to pick up Napoleons and they might run into this issue.
  2. kwood129

kwood129 Member

That is something very good to consider. I think I wouldn't mind having a backup just in case. What I would really love to have is an extended battery and cover. That would be awesome!!
  3. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

I completely agree as it is something people should take into consideration if someone is to buy a Nap that is used. The key is to find out from the seller if the device was activated and has been since back when *228 option 3 was working for them. If the device was activated that way (*228 option 3) it is a given as soon as it comes off the account the next owner will have the issue you are. The only Nap that will activate with no trouble are any USA model Nap, or one that the owner got VZW to add the MEID prior to activation for the first time.

However with that said it should be to much of an issue to get VZW to add the MEID seeing as they can see the device had been active on there network in the past. And do to the fact the device is e911 complaint.
  4. Cunha

Cunha Member

Are you saying that there are no non-usa model napoleons that will -not- have this issue when going from one account (activated as a flip phone blob) to another?

More clarifying - are you saying that USA phones will -not- have this issue but a china 3.2 (even one that had no problem activating in the past as a blob) will, unless the MEID is added in which case you are going to be paying for a smart phone plan?

It seems like if some of the Q9n's are now considered grandfathered devices, that all of them would be. -Including the USA phones- This would mean that no one can buy and use a Nap without having the MEID added.

Reason I am concerned is that I am looking at buying my first Q9n and don't really know the best way to go about it. There aren't really any -never before activated- ones floating around and if I wanted a full smart phone plan I think I would get a different phone with a bit broader support, so having the MEID added and using the device as a Q9c or whatever isn't an attractive option at all.

But if someone can confirm that USA q9n's have no problems switching around via *228 and all china Q9n's do have that problem, that would be a big help.

Thanks for everything.
  5. Bullroarer Took

I can't answer all of your questions, but I have a china 3.2 which was previously activated on a different number, but will not activate now using *228 now as it's a new number. Customer service initially said the phone was non-e911 compliant, but checked the ESN and did see that it was previously activated and so put in a request for service. I won't hear back until after the long weekend. I will update when I do.
  6. manbat

manbat Active Member

Mine comes on and off fine...when active shows as a Q9c....
  7. Cunha

Cunha Member

So for one of you it is china and does not work

And for the other it switches (what version phone) but does it switch between different accounts? And, being Q9c I assume that means it uses a smart phone data plan versus 10 dollar data plan or vpak if you still have Vpak.
  8. manbat

manbat Active Member

Yes, Mine is 'officially' a Q9c to the Verizon system. A group of many of us had them added to the system that way. I did it because I had a thought that those entered as 'test devices' might run into problems later on. Mine has been on and off three different numbers on my account. It's a China Nap and yes I pay for the data plan...I have a business discount so it is only $19 per month per line.
  9. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

@Chuna I fully understand your confusion as there is plenty when it comes to activating a Q9n on VZW's network. So I'll try to clarify the best I can. So I'll start with the USA models and then move on to China models as those are the ones that are the issue. USA model Naps are no issue what so ever to get activated on any account or any line at any time. Oh and by the way in the market here at everythingwm there is a guy selling brand new USA model naps still. Well at least a wk ago he still had 2 of them for sale so you may want to take a look there.

Okay so getting onto things. As for USA model Naps they will activate fine on any account no matter what. Reason being is all USA model Naps had the MEID entered in the system by Moto and they will all display as the grey blob. Also fyi if you want to know for sure ask the seller what the first 3 characters are of the MEID after the A000000. If they tell you it is 2c6 or 2c9 the MEID is in the system already and you would have no trouble activating like I said. And on that not would not have to deal with the smartphone data plan.

Now as for China models it all depends on when and how it was activated for the first time. Or if the person got the MEID entered prior to activating it the first time. So let say the person got there Nap back when *228 option 3 worked and has never deactivated it yet. If that is the case then the MEID is not actually entered into there database and as soon as the device is removed from that account it will not be able to be reactivated without getting VZW to add it becasue it will be showing up as a grandfathered unit and show as being non-e911 compliant. However as mentioned VZW should be able to add it with no trouble because they can see it had been active in the past, and the device is e911 compliant. I can vouch for this myself as I've gotten a few done myself for Naps I had boght activated OTA and then sold to someone else.

Hopefully that clears that part up but here is the confusing part. Some folks decided or had to get the MEID entered into the system prior to activating depending on when they bought it becasue VZW fixed the OTA activation and wouldn't let them activate anymore over the air if the MEID was not in the system. So with that said you'd have to ask the seller how it was entered by VZW. Some people got them entered as Q9c like manbat and many other, while others (like myself) were able to get them entered in the system but entered as test units. So for folks who got China models entered as test units when activated they show up just like a USA model ( grey blob). For folks who got them entered as Q9c they will show as that and force you to have the $30/mon data plan.

Lastly people who activated when OTA worked and have never taken them off yet those would be the only ones that will not reactivate at first if you bought it until you get VZW to add the MEID to the system. Problem there is you won't know how they enter it. And with that said if they did put it in as the Q9c you'd be stuck paying for smartphone data, but if they enter it as a test unit it would be like you have a USA model.

Best bet is talk to a seller and ask specific question. What model is it. If it is USA your golden. If it is China find out how it was activated at first. If it was OTA and never removed then you will have to deal with the MEID. If the MEID was entered prior to activation how was it entered. IE when active is it displaying as the grey blob or a Q9c. those few things will give you all the info you need to decide what to buy. Hopefully this clears it up a little better. Any question drop a post and I'll get back to ya ASAP.
  10. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

correct and the reason being is manbat got his entered as a Q9c and is displaying as that when activate. And that also means it is the $30/mon for data.

the other one was obviously originally activated via *228 when it worked and was grandfather which is why it will not activate yet until they get the MEID processed now that it was taken of the original line/account.
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

OK, I've got a good one. Say I got my China 3.2 Nap from somebody who had it added to the VZW database as a test unit before I ever activated it. At the time, I had a V9m and added the vPak plan before activating my Nap. I was able to put my Nap on my line via either online and/or OTA (*228, opt 3) no problems. The only time I had a 'hiccup' was when I tried out the Ozone, then returned it. I had to activate my V9m first, then my Nap, both with OTA.

Now, VZW has discontinued vPak and I have a Droid on my line with the $30 smartphone plan. What happens if I decide to try my Nap for a bit? Will it get data at all?
  12. Cunha

Cunha Member

I would guess that it would get data but you would be paying that smartphone data plan. I would revert to a different phone with Data plan "connect package" and then to the nap. Just my guess. I wouldn't want my nap to be associated with smart phone data at all.
  13. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

@Teddy if I had to guess it would have data and work fine if you go from your Droid to the Nap. However as mentioned you'd be paying for the smartphone data plan doing it that way. So as mentioned if it were me I'd go from the Driod to the v9m to get the Connect plan, and then activate the Nap after you know data was working on the v9m with the Connect plan. Cuts the monthly cost down and is one extra step which really is no big deal IMHO.
  14. Bullroarer Took

Well it's been over a week so I called tech support back. They said they can't activate my Nap since it is not e911 compliant and that it was a grandfathered activation in the first place. I'm beginning to think I won't be able to get it activated.

If anyone has any ideas or contacts I'd appreciate them. It's such a great device otherwise.
  15. kwood129

kwood129 Member

I just want to throw this out here but if anyone has a phone that can't be activated please let me know. I dropped mine yesterday and I'm looking for one for parts. I honestly do feel your pain with what you're going thru and hope that you get yours activated.
  16. Bullroarer Took

Kwood - Give me another week to try to get this activated and if I can't we can work a deal. (Right now I like your odds better than mine.) I really love this handset and I think that Moto really screwed up by going so far in the development of this and then squashing it, but that's in the past now. It is SO CLOSE TO PERFECT that I could cry.
  17. manbat

manbat Active Member

Did you you tell them it is an A4500...?

==========================
    Did you you tell them it is an A4500...? In the task of getting mine put in the system (as a Q9c) I just told them it was a A4500. They looked it up on"the Internet" and saw the FCC approval along with all of the Certificates. The upper tier supports know about the phone....you just have to get a hold of one of them. I do not know if this helped or if it was because my meid was submitted in one of the groups in this threads. I did get a call back from one of the techs telling me that my Nap was now entered as a Q9c though.
  18. Bullroarer Took

Manbat - Thanks for helping. I have told CS that the device is a Motorola A4500: "We don't have that in our database. It must be a very old phone and that's why it's showing as non e911 compliant." Obviously I'm not talking to the right people. I have asked for tier 2 support, but I keep getting told that's not necessary, "I can help you."

Obviously not. How (or who!) do I get hold of a higher level of support and how high do I need to go?
  19. manbat

manbat Active Member

Nap

I have a lot of the information saved on my computer at home. I talked to multiple contacts...it will take a tier 2 to help...they are not sooo...scripted. My case was made easier, I believe, by the fact that I had VZNav (for advanced devices, Q9c build ) active for months. I believe that the FCC approval Doc for the Nap is somewhere in this thread. I am mobile so I can't post a link.
  20. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Well folks it looks like there a bunch of Naps on the float again that need to get MEIDs in the system. I know a fellow member here at the site has been getting PM's asking for assistance on getting some processed. I have also been contacted by a few people along with another buddy who just came up with a few Naps himself.

So with that all said the door is back open to get any MEIDs over to me via PM asap. I will put the list together and get it off to who needs it so they can get the ball rolling with VZW to hopefully get the all inputted in one shot.

Lastly anyone who has contacted me or sent an MEID recently plz send it again. I do not keep those types of PM's in my inbox unless we are dealing with the process. So odds are I no longer have it and will need it sent over if you want it added to the list.