Activating on Verizon

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by astrocramp, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

If the MEID for the device shows up as a test device, then the services for the old phone migrate to the new phone or not at all. When I was using my USA Nap for example, if the immediate prior phone was a Krave, then the voicemail notifications turned off because that phone handles VM differently.

When you get the device registered as a Q9c all of those problems go away, however you do have to pay for data. If you are taking data without a plan, then there is always a chance that your MEID can be blacklisted.
  2. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

that is nothing abnormal IMO it has happened to many times as I'm pretty bad about clearing voicemails before swapping devices. Anywho say you had said device activate and missed a call and they left a voicemail but you did not check it. You then swap to a different device and do OTA activation/programming. Once it is done the VM notification will pop up on the device you just activated because it was never checked on the prior one. It's not really a big deal IMO, except for the fact if you swap back to the device you had activated the VM notification will still pop up even tho he VM is gone by then I'm sure. and depending on the device you may or may not be able to delete the notification. Simplest way I've found to clear it out is to just leave a quick test VM and go in and delete it so the notification is gone
  3. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Yes, if I swap to a V9m before a test Nap, there are no issues.
  4. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Anybody else on the list care to test and PM back?

This just came in today:

5. Jared234

Jared234 New Member

Mine is still being rejected online, but I think it was in the second batch submitted.
  6. igedoc

igedoc New Member

Mine is rejected as well
  7. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

IMO you are better off trying OTA option3 then online. However odds are if online is not working OTA won't either but it may be worth a shot.
  8. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

Yea I was finally able to activate...never thought it would happen.
    A couple days before wnrussell sent the first list in I had talked to a tier 2 tech and told him it was a Moto Q9n aka A4500 and he submitted an "ESN Not Found" form for me, as he could see that the MEID had been active on the network previously for about a month total and had even been switched to and from numerous times without issues.
  9. HuskerAv

HuskerAv New Member

No joy....yet. But I'm still patient - as wnrussell said that it may be the end of this week (10-ish days from last submitted) I won't start getting anxious again til next week!
  10. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

I suspect that the Tier 3 guy is activating 29 of these may have something to do with the process taking so long. I sent him a reminder again today, that he said it would take about 10 days from the last week of June.

Edit:

I just got a reply asking if he got any update:

From: [Tier3]@VerizonWireless.com [mailto:[Tier3]@VerizonWireless.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:50 PM
    To: Bill Russell
    Subject: RE: Napoleon A4500 group

Not as of yet.
  11. kwood129

kwood129 Member

Thanks for the update. One reply in the group really got things started again. I have to admit when I saw the posting today I rushed to see if my phone would activate too. I guess we were all hoping that it would be done before the holiday weekend. I don't think that is going to happen so maybe next week it will be done.
  12. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Heya all I have some info I'd like to share relative to devices that are/were activated via *228 option 3 when it was working with the devices that DID NOT have the MEIDs in the system at the time. This info is irrelevant to folks who actually got there MEIDs entered into the system just so we are clear. I will be copying and pasting some information from a few email replies I received from the person I have dealt with in getting some of these MEIDs added. So to for warn you this post may be a little long seeing as I want to give some details as to how and why I got this info back from her.

Anywho it all started when I was in the process of trying to get some MEIDs entered for fellow members which went fine mind you. At the time I had 3 devices fully active and working in my house (mine, my sons, and room mates) all of which got activated back when the MEID DID NOT have to be in the database and OTA was working. So I ask her if she could double check my MEID to see if it was in the database while processing the new MEID I requested to be entered. She got back to me 2 days later letting me know the MEID I asked to be entered was processed, and that my personal Nap MEID was in fact in the database so it would be no trouble to swap to and from it. Well I thought this was odd seeing as I activated OTA and never request VZW to enter my MEID in the database. Be that as it may I wans't going to question it. So I decided to risk it and take my Nap off and swap to another device which I did. Next day I swapped back to my Nap and was good to go. So obviously the info she gave me was correct which again I still found odd as I never asked for it to be done but I'm not complaining that is for sure.

So after that I was asked again by another member here to get there MEID entered which I said I would try to do for them. I turned around dropped another email off and asked about processing another MEID which again she was cool with and got it taken care of for me. In this go around I asked her to check my other 2 Nap MEIDs ( sons, and room mates)to see if they were in the system database which she did and this is where it gets interesting. Few days go by and she replies back to me letting me know the MEID I requested was done, and had details on my other 2 MEIDs I asked to be checked. And this is the reply I got on those which is what I found odd.

"The other two MEIDs are in our database already, however, they are considered grandfathered devices and are not E911 compliant, which is now a requirement by the FCC. What that means is that if these devices are to be removed from the current numbers they are assigned to, our systems will not allow them to be reactivated because we would then be in violation of FCC regulations. The devices will continue to work if they are left as is, but once removed they cannot be added back on."

So after getting that reply I sent a reply back asking how that could be possible as these are the same devices she had been processing for me and that they are in fact E911 compliant. I even threw in there, as she did know originally that I had gotten some activated when OTA was working, asking could it be possible they are like this because they got activated when the OTA was working but really shouldn't have been for these. So a few days later after me replying asking a few question on these she got back to me with this reply.

"As far as for the other two MEIDs, all I can say is that they are showing in our database as grandfathered and non-e911 compliant. That doesn't mean that they necessarily are, as you explained, but it does mean that it would involve an extra step in reactivating them, should it come to that. If they are actually e911 compliant, and they are removed, because our database shows them as not, we would have to have an exception be made to show them as e911 compliant when they wanted to be reactivated. Unfortunately, this cannot be done beforehand, only upon reactivation. But it can be done, it would just require waiting a bit for the exception to be processed. This also could be the reason some of these other friends of yours are having trouble because if they were activated using *228 and inputted by the system to show as non-E911 complaint and they deactivated them the system is not letting them back because of them being listed as grandfathered and non-E911 complaint. I hope this helps answer your questions/concerns."

I closing I just wanted to pass these details along for everyones reference mostly. Specially to the folks that have Naps that are still active from when OTA was working. My suggestion to you folks is call in if need be and ask them to check your MEID to see if and how it is showing up on there end prior to deactivating it as I'm sure none of you want to have to go threw the hassle of getting the MEID inputted back in the system. However as you can see by the replies I got it is possible to get it done and have them added back into the system. This may also explain why folks that had them active via OTA and took them off are getting refused so easily when trying to get them added back into the system because they could be showing up on VZW's end as being non-E911 complaint and by law they can not active a non-E911 complaint device anymore.
  13. manbat

manbat Active Member

Some questions...I believe that I am in the last group. If your Nap is already active...and it is added with this group, will the icon phone in my Verizon change? Would removing and trying to re-activate be the only way to check for addition? Also if you have ever had VZNav active it would seem that it would be a flag that the phone is compliant....would it not?
  14. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Is the one you have on the list ( ie last group as you stated) the device you currently have active or another Napoleon you have just waiting to be activated? If it is currently active I do not believe they can or will add the MEID to the database because it is active. Don't quote me on that tho. As for the phone icon changing in My Account if it is added I do not believe it will change but wnrussel may know seeing as a few of the first he submitted have been done. That being said they should be able to say what is display on those devices.

as for knowing if the MEID is entered yes the only way to tell is to try activating a device that is not active yet. If the device is active you would have to swap to a different device and then go back. Problem with that is if the MEID is not in the database then you will not be able to reactivate it after taking it off and could have issues as per my post above which is why I posted the details.

As for VZ Nav yes IMO your thought would be correct and make sense. However for people like myself who don't use or pay for VZ Nav seeing as we have free GPS access on the Naps it wouldn't do us any good. And in my case there is no reason my son needs Nav seeing as he doesn't drive yet, and my room mate just refuses to have any type of GPS as he has no use for it and doesn't need big brother standing over his shoulder. he won't even turn location on for any device he owns, it is always set to 911 only. If he had his choice he'd disable/remove the darn GPS chip from his phone entirely so NO ONE on planet earth would be able to track him. Yea he is real picky about his personal privacy to say the least. Lastly in my situation all my devices are entered in the system as test units, even the ones from China so they have no idea what phone type it is. FYI tho my account is logged as being a beta tester for Moto from years ago when I had family who worked there. I use to get test units to beta test for them so I really don't ever get questioned about the types of devices I have active on the accounts which is kinda nice in cases like the Napoleon
  15. manbat

manbat Active Member

I only have the one China Nap. It's been active since I got it...OTA. I do have VZNav provisioned...I can turn it on and off(VZNav) with my Verizon. It is currently on right now. So.. if it is already active no adding it unless it is removed temporarily? Hate to chance it...
  16. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

From my understanding and conversation with my contact yes that would be correct. You would in fact have to remove the device from your account before they would add the MEID to the database if it isn't in there already.

Curious how does your Nap display/show in your My Account? Is it a pic of the Q9c or the gray blob? If it is displaying as a Q9c if I were you I'd call CS and ask them to check the MEID to make sure it is in the database before you tried anything. They should be able to tell you if it is or not. If they ask why you are calling just say you bought it off ebay and have heard reports of people having issues reactivating device once they had been swapped out to something else and you are just making sure if you do swap out you will in fact be able to activate it again with no trouble

If I were you I wouldn't chance it either to be honest without calling or finding out one way or another if the MEID is in the database . Altho you may be lucky like the first one I had was. As I mentioned it was activated OTA and I never requested the MEID to be added but per my contact when I asked her the MEID was in fact in the system somehow. And I know it was because I did risk it and took it off and it activated fine and it has been activated again by someone else as I sold it now that I have a different Nap. However on that device I did have it provisioned for VZ Nav so now that I think about it I wonder if that is why it was different then these other 2 Naps that she is telling me are grandfathered and active but listed as non-E911 complaint.
  17. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

In the case of the Napoleon if the MEID is not in the database then the phone is unrecognizable so i don't see how it could possibly come up as grandfathered non E911 compliant. There has to be some kind of mistake or mix up.
  18. manbat

manbat Active Member

Mine does show up as the "gray blob". When it was provisioned it was provisioned as a Q9c.
  19. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That was my thought exactly and why I asked for some more specifics from her. Her only thought is that because I got them activated via *228 option 3 even tho the MEIDs were not in the database and they are displayed as a test units is why it is showing up this way. Reality is as long as I don't take them off it is not a problem. The problems will start if they were taken off and tried to be reactivated, but as she stated there is a way around it tho. It will just take some time is all to get an exception made on them. Personally not to worried tho if that were to happen as I'd just get in contact with her to help get them corrected. She has been pretty good about getting things taken care of for me so far as a few of you guys can vouch for. Just don't want to press my luck to much is all with all the request and help she has given me to date.

What I still don't get tho is how the MEID is in the database supposedly but listed this way as being non-E911 complaint. That just makes no sense to be honest. Specially do to the fact I haven't requested these to be added to the database as they are active still
  20. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

hmmm. I wonder if it would display as a Q9c if you swapped out and then back tho. However obviously that is not an option at this time tho seeing as you don't know if the MEID is in the database or not. And if it were me I wouldn't risk trying it just to find out until you know for a fact if the MEID is in the database as it would really blow to find out the hard way you can't reactivate it. I do know on mine even after having it provisioned for VZ Nav it still showed as the gray blob after swapping out and then back on again. Then again I called in and asked for the account to be provisioned for advanced devices while I was using a dumbphone so when I went back to the Napoleon it was good to go.