activate internal gps

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by wraenking, Dec 20, 2007.

1. wraenking

wraenking New Member

activate internal gps

has anyone used the xml file to activate the intenal gps for the q9m? i cant find a straight answer. people have said they have used the internal on the q9m
  2. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Which xml file are you refering to? I don't recall anyone being able to activate the gps on the Q9M at least the gps as most people refer to it. Take a look at another thread that was posted just before yours:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9m/gps-use-15264.html
  3. wraenking

wraenking New Member

i thought i read on another forum which i cant find now that a guy was running tomtom with the internal gps. i have tomtom installed, but need to activate the internal. verizons website says it has the agps/ and sgps so we should be able to do it.
  4. johnpa2006

johnpa2006 New Member

About "GPS" on the Q9M

There is no internal GPS in the Verizon Q9M
    There are no chips inside the phone that talk to any GPS satellites in space.

There are no "mods" or hacks, its not physically there.
    You can buy an external GPS reciever, and use it with Google Maps or Windows Live maps.
    Thats actually about 50$ after shipping on BuyGPSnow.com

The Q9M does however have "A-GPS" is a misleading name,
    "Assisted GPS" and should be called what it really is.
    "Cell Tower Based Location"

Its "cool" but it doesnt beat the real thing.
    a 160$ used TomTomOne would give you a better experience than anything you can do with the Q9M, I tried it and found it to be fun, but your not going to use it for a trip to some location you have never been to before.
    You can use it to see exactly where you are on google maps.
    Thats pretty much where it ends. IMHO
    After you spend the money on Navigation software on the GPS receiver, you could have picked up the real thing.
    Again this is just my opinion based on my past experiences.
    Garmin and TomTom, ohhh the fun you can have with them.

Hope this helps.
    Enjoy your Q9M's
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

That's not exactly how aGPS works. there are aGPS chipsets in the Q9m and Q9c. Where the assistance comes in is that assistance servers at the cell locations tell the phone which Sattelites are visible at the time, giving a reduced time to fix. The Q9h has a Sattelite only GPS receiver which is why the AT&T users experience such a delay when getting a location fix. If there were no GPS receiver in my Q9c, I wouldn't be able to use the GPS functionality in either WLS or Google Maps (neither worked in my Q1, but function perfectly in my Q9c).
  6. johnpa2006

johnpa2006 New Member

In an A-GPS setup, you phone talks to a Cell tower,
    the cell tower (not your phone) talks to a GPS satellite.
    zero communication between any satellite and your phone occurs.
    your entirely using the cell tower as your "Go-between"
    the Q9H does have onboard GPS chips that do talk to satellites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
    The following is from the above mentioned link
    BEGIN PASTE
    An A-GPS receiver can address these problems in several ways, using an Assistance Server:
    • The Assistance Server can locate the phone roughly by what cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.
    • The Assistance Server has a good satellite signal, and lots of computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.
    END PASTE

Hope this helps, thank you
    SOrry if I sound like i"m nitpicking.
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Still not nitpicking, but if it were strictly Cell based wouldn't it continue to function inside? My phone works great inside, but the GPS doesn't work at all. There is a sattelite receiver in the phone, I can even get the model if you want.
  8. johnpa2006

johnpa2006 New Member

If there were any components in the Q9M that did talk to satellites, they are not show in the WM6 interface.
    I heard the Q9M was supposed to have full blown GPS, but then Verizon decided to neuter the phone and give it A-GPS instead.
    Leaving the Q9H with the only Q family phone with actual GPS chips inside.
    Is it possible there are disabled chips inside the Q9M for real GPS, yes.
    Are they working right now, no
    The only reason you might get any A-GPS functionality indoors is because most GPS signals that come from actual satellites are lost when you walk indoors and have a few floors above you. A-GPS (via cell towers) DO reach inside buildings, better than satellites from above.

If you want to take apart your phone and identify the gps chipset, be my guest.
    but right now, there is no functionality in the Q9M that is true GPS.
    It is all relayed via cell tower, hence the name A-GPS
    Phone -->Cell tower---> GPS Satellite (A-GPS)
    NOT
    Phone---> GPS Satellite (real GPS)

are we arguing? I think I need a hug :(
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Nah, I don't like arguing (especially on the internet) *cue mike*
    But I have had this discussion previously on the Motorola Support forum for the Q (which prompted an intervention by the Motorola Administrator)

Any way taking my phone apart is moot, since the Q9c is partially a different phone. The capability is there in the Q9m, it just wasn't implemented at launch.
    The following is taken from www.howstuffworks.com on this page
    Wireless-Assisted GPS
    Some GPS phones use wireless-assisted GPS to determine the user's location. In wireless-assisted systems, the phone uses the orbiting GPS satellites in conjunction with information about the cell phone's signal. Sometimes called enhanced GPS, wireless-assisted GPS can often get a fix on the user's location faster than a GPS-only receiver. Some wireless-assisted systems can work inside buildings, under dense foliage and in city areas where traditional receivers cannot receive signals. You can learn more about wireless-assisted GPS through Lucent Technologies.

So you don't have a GPS settings menu, located in Settings/ phone settings, at the last page?
    We could hug if you want...:whistling
    It's very hard to get a straight answer even from Motorola but I'm working on it.
  10. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Whatever it is.......???? I think there are many who would like to know if it is possible to have the same LOCATION BASED functionallity activated on their Q9Ms via some sort of registry edit or whatever, the same way it is active on the Q9C since both phones are virtually identical.
  11. dchain

dchain New Member

so where did you go to set it up? I have not been able to get google maps to work yet unless I use an external gps.