Accessory idea for Q's in Cars

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by dmont, Dec 29, 2006.

1. dmont

dmont New Member

Accessory idea for Q's in Cars

Like so many, I took a trip over the holidays and my new Q entertained me along the way. I got my Seidio Audio Adaptor just before going. The FM transmitter that I use to get my mp3 player into my car stereo worked great through the adapter. And, even more cool, when a call came in, the music stopped and the call came over my stereo until the call ended and the music returned.

But, I wonder ...
    does anyone make a combo car charger / FM transmitter? I've seen headsets that use the miniUSB. Would it work to send audio out from WMP and the phone while being charged?

And, maybe a cradle that will run a set of speakers in my office while charging the Q.

Also, if these aren't available, how can I cash in on the ideas?
  2. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I suspect it is possible to make one, but as with all things involving PCBs and injection molded plastics, you'd be into it for thousands of dollars to tap into a relatively small user base that understands exactly how and why the product is neat - and to make matters worse, by the time you had established a market for the product, the Q product line would...somehow...make it obsolete. For a crash course in the harsh realities of being a third party hardware vendor Google "Handspring, Visor, Springboard Modules".

But if you want to go for it, sign me up for one...
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

I'd Rather Use Bluetooth

Instead of crappy FM transmission, I'd rather have a Bluetooth receiver that supports the A2DP and Handsfree profiles and plugs into a car stereo, either using a 3.5 mm jack for newer stereos with those inputs or in a cassette adaptor. Then the Q could just send the audio and phone over the Bluetooth link.

Steve
  4. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Another significant factor limiting the potential for such a product is that there is an easy two-part work around, using the FM transmitter with a car charger for the Q. My truck has three accessory ports up front, so I am not limited by available ports...