? about Monster Flashes (OMG HAX?)

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by kericr, Apr 7, 2008.

1. kericr

kericr New Member

? about Monster Flashes (OMG HAX?)

While I was searching this forum for something entirely unrelated I stumbed across someone talking about flashing their Q to enable MMS (or something to that extent) and someone mentioned a "Monster Flash File". I've done some searching and have found that these files seem to exist based on your service provider but I'm having trouble finding information that tells me exactly what this is and what it does.

So I'm clear, I am not looking for a way to enable MMS on my Q. It seems that this question in particular kept popping up relating to this topic with most people saying it can't be done. I've simply never heard of this Monster Flash before and would like to know if anybody can give me more details as to what this thing would do if I were to apply it to my Sprint Q.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

you don't need to do anything that extreme for picture mail (sprint doesn't use true MMS anyway)
    just go here and download sMMS.
    as long as you have a picture mail account it will do exactly what you need.
  3. reddragon7660

reddragon7660 New Member

from what i know of what a monster flash is basicly you could flash your q9m say from sprint to verizon's change to the better or worse. a fresh coat of paint on your phone change look of menu's and maybe add or delete a feature but nothing more.
  4. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

Think 'ROM' for smartphones.
    The firmware for Motorola phones (handsets) has been relatively easy to re-program (flash) using a programming tool (frequently "RSD Lite" from Motorola) and a large file (100 Mb +/-) - the flash file which is often called a Monster Pack (MP) or maybe a Monster File.

There are some Q9h ROM's around which can be flashed to certain phones, but you need to be sure of what you have and what you're trying to achieve.

Another option is Motorola Update - available from the Motorola website. It provides some updates for certain phones/carriers. It requires you to d/l the update program, which checks your phone and then, if an update is available, will download the file and re-program your phone "automatically".