A New Q User with Mac - but already set up Missing Sync successfully

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by mafatumatt, Jan 15, 2007.

1. mafatumatt

mafatumatt New Member

A New Q User with Mac - but already set up Missing Sync successfully

Ok, so I've got a MacBook Pro and Q. Got Missing Sync, set it up, love it.

But, I use gmail for e-mail and I use the Apple Mail program to read it. However, on my phone, I can't configure my gmail to be the "outlook express mail" so on my main screen, whenever I get email thru gmail pops up "gmail: 1" but e-mail stays at 0, right next to the text message counter. is there any way to adjust it so I can sync my mail on the apple or does missing sync not do that?

If i cant adjust that way, can I edit my home screen so that gmail appears as email instead so I don't get the popup thing?

i know its a little thing but I'm picky with my new Q!

And this site is great! It's where I went to see about Missing Sync. It's good to find a forum like this for the Q with some educated users.
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

GMail Questions

Did you install the Java GMail program on your Q? I don't have a Mac, but ActiveSync only syncs Outlook E-mail (not Outlook Express). Also, getting a GMail popup and not seeing the E-mail counter change makes me think you installed the GMail program.

You can configure GMail as a POP3 account on your Q, and that should display unread GMail on the Home screen.

Steve
  3. joe in miami

joe in miami New Member

You're one step ahead of me on the Missing Sync. and I'm still not 100% sure I will keep my Sprint Q. I was very frustrated trying to set up email. I eventually set up 4 accounts successfully and my email counter still showed 0 when I had a total of 30-something emails.

I have a long-standing joke, that every Windows-based product I buy, I must allocate at least 48 hours of tech support just to get it to work. In the end it does, but in the process I get an education in IT systems administration. :laugh2:

I was looking for a way to increase the font size of the homescreen, especially the clock, and went to Settings/Homescreen (on the Q) and selected a different format. Then to my amazement, I found one (format)that actually lists the different email accounts and their counters. Now I still have a small clock but at least I can see how emails I really have.

I'm a little concerned about the battery life. Right now I have the Q pulling emails every 15 minutes and I'm sure its sucking juice. Today, Saturday, for instance, I barely talked on it and it ran out of battery after about 8 hours. I figure if I was using it as I normally do, it would have lasted less than 6 hours.
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

E-mail On The Q

There are two E-mail plug-ins. The one that also shows SMS, voicemail, etc. only shows your Outlook E-mail count. The one that shows just one account can be configured to show any of your accounts.

As for font size, I think you have to control that using the Home screen's XML. My Verizon Q came with a Large font Home screen, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

Don't check E-mail every 15 minutes, then. I check every 30 and usually get a day's usage from my Q. I don't make many calls, but I keep Bluetooth on 24/7.

Another thing to do is turn off incoming beams in the Connections Beam settings applet. That saves quite a bit of power.

Steve
  5. joe in miami

joe in miami New Member

Thanks. Yes, I plan to go to 30-minute intervals on the email. I figure if something is urgent...a phone call is in order.

What exactly is a Connections Beam? I couldn't find it in the manual, which BTW is horrible. What does it do?
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

It turns off automatic reception of incoming infrared transmissions. (On some phones -- those with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, I think -- it also turns off incoming Bluetooth transmissions or something, but that's not true on the Q.)

Steve
  7. joe in miami

joe in miami New Member

If turning off Connections doesn't interfere with use of Bluetooth then its worth a try in order to save battery life. Does it have to do with sending contact info or documents from one device to another? I will check it out on the Motorola Q website just to make sure. Thanks.