A few app questions from a potential WP7 convert

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by 613, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 613

613 New Member

Hey everyone,

I just have a few questions about apps on WP7 so far. Obviously it is a growing OS with a continually developing app ecosystem, so new apps will be springing up all the time. Since I bought an iPad in August, the amount I use it as much of a "real" smartphone has decreased a great deal, e.g. I don't use Safari at all, watch videos etc. However there are some things I do NEED. From the research I've found, I can already fill in a few gaps myself, please could you tell me about any of these you know about or correct me if I'm wrong!

Runkeeper (no plans as yet by the devs, probably not soon)
    Twitter app with Instapaper support (?)
    iCal calendar integration (?)
    Mac Address Book sync (?)
    Dropbox (highly requested by user community, likely eventually)
    Evernote (generic mobile browser version, no native app as yet?)
    Voice recorder that will be able to send to Mac?

Yep, I'm a Mac user and have been for years. Since that is not going to change any time soon, ANY extra Mac integration would be absolutely wonderful!

Any help would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

David
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Mac user here, but I don't use any Mac syncing. The only available tool is Windows Phone Connector for Mac.

Screen shot 2010-12-03 at 3.29.53 PM.png

If you need further syncing, I'm guessing the Mark/Space guys will have Missing Sync out, but honestly I haven't checked.

No Twitter apps with Instapaper that I've seen. The current crop of Twitter apps are ok, but I'm hoping for better.

If you have dot mac, you can sync Address Book to Google and then sync to your phone. Not as elegant as plugging in your iPhone, but it should work.
  3. 613

613 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Chris,

Agreed about the Windows Phone Connector for Mac. For a beta, it appears very usable, especially for the music and photos. Hopefully it can get even better!

I didn't know about Missing Sync! An interesting possibility. I'll have to see how that develops, although a free, first party solution from Microsoft would be most ideal from my point of view!

I'm sure some form of Instapaper-support will arrive eventually, Twitter for WP7 is still 1.0 after all!

I don't have MobileMe, the subscription charge is too much for a lowly student. Having said that, if I have to type in my contacts, I really won't mind! It's the calendar integration that would be great especially to see on the lock screen what I have next. When I jailbroke my iPhone in 2008 I could do that, and Apple still haven't implemented any decent lockscreen info. Not impressed with iOS 4.2.1 on my iPhone at the moment.

I guess the plan is to just wait and see til all the app and OS boxes are ticked and look around then. I spose the problem them would be finding some good hardware that'll have to be on O2 for me here in the UK so that'll limit choices! I'm sure there'll be more models running the OS released around mid 2011.
    Too many decisions and I hate waiting !!! :(

Thanks for the help so far!

David
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

No problem. Glad to help. While you're rocking iOS, join us over at iCafe.
  5. 613

613 New Member

I'm really looking for a phone on the small side of the smartphone market. After a little more research, I see the HD7 is the only one available on my network here in the UK (o2) I really am not looking for something that huge, my iPad does that job! I'm looking for something no larger than an iPhone. Hardware-wise, Apple has spoiled me a bit, so however cool the new WP7 OS is, I think I'll see what comes out.

While I am quite happy to jump feet first into a new OS, I simply will not compromise on my hardware requirements, so I'm going wait til at least something else comes out for o2. By then, I'm sure the vast majority of my app problems will be over! Fingers crossed...
  6. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Does any of that stuff integrate with Skydrive? I just found out that signing up for a Windows Live ID automatically gives you a free 20some gigabyte "SkyDrive". I haven't actually tried to use it yet, though I've spotted its functionality in places in the OS. Perhaps like a free MobileME?
  7. termleech

termleech Member

Nothing on the phone integrates with SkyDrive yet. You phone will sync contacts, calendar and email to your live account, but you can't yet use SkyDrive for office or anything. Hopefully that's a fix in the near future.
  8. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Photos. I had to figure out why I even found the word SkyDrive. If you send someone a picture, the option is right there to upload to SkyDrive. Really cool, they could go places with this.
  9. meridian

meridian Member

This isn't quite true.

You can save photos to skydrive. You can even set up the phone to automatically load all of your photos to skydrive as you take them.

Also, you can read/write OneNote documents on skydrive. I've been doing a lot of this, and it works fine, but the WP7 OneNote is missing a lot of features from the desktop one.

But you're right, strangely you can't do word or excel docs.
  10. Mylemsky

Mylemsky New Member

While on the subject of SkyDrive. I have some PDF files that I would like mobile access to, do you recommend that I save them to Word Mobile?

Thank you.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Adobe Reader is available through the Marketplace.
  12. ajayden

ajayden Member

Word and Excel docs cannot be uploaded to Skydrive from your device but then they can be uploaded from your computer and then viewed on your device anywhere, anytime. You can even use the powerpoint docs from your Skydrive to do a presentation using your phone.