9c software suggestions

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Parout, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Parout

Parout New Member

9c software suggestions

Sorry for posting this here and not on the software thread, but this is 9c specific and that's what I have. First of all I just migrated over to the Q from Palm Treo. Thus, there are some functionality that I don't see on the Window's OS. I do not want or intend on loading a lot of 3rd party apps on this device. I want to keep it lean and mean. I have ordered a 1GB card for my phone. I assume that I should load all apps on the card and not the phone, no?

Here is what I would like and would appreciate suggestions:
    • Text software that threads. Can't believe that the Windows OS is so simple on this. The only thing that I have seen is Extreme Text. Is this stable? Is there other choices?
    • I would like to customize my home page. I have yet to find a way to customize this on the Windows OS...that blows. I would like to control what apps are available on the home page. I have seen Facade, is this the best route?
    • Managing apps. It appears that when I open apps and change to some other one that the previous app is still open and running. Is this the case with Windows Mobile OS? It seems this could lead to performance issues. For all you experienced Windows Mobile OS users, please enlighten me and let me know the best way to manage this scenario if necessary.
    • Clock. The clock with the Windows OS sucks. I need an alarm clock that keeps a couple of different times for international cities. I do biz interanationally this used World Clock on Palm and it did a good job. I have noticed the SBSH clock but I don't believe it has an alarm. What else is out there.
    That is it for now. I appreciate everyone's input. If there is freeware available for some of these apps please let me know but am willing to pay for good/stable solutions. As well, if there is a killer app that you can add to enhance the Windows OS performance / functionality and you have found it to be invaluable include that as well. I have read something about Opera having a better browser to the one loaded on the 9c. I assume that this is IE mobile, no?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if you bothered to search you can do all of those things.

1. look for extreme text
    2. if you have a note pad software on your Q you can edit the xml file
    3. windows in ROM programs do not have exit features so if you WANT to but dont have to you can go to the task manager to kill them.
    also a more intuitive program you can get is WM5 Task Manager...i understand you are using WM6 but it should work none the less
    4. check out www.sbsh.net for there world clock and even check out www.handango.com for there clock softwares
  3. Parout

Parout New Member

Thanks Scott. I did go through the software thread last night, but with Q, 9m, 9c, WM5 and WM6 I thought it might be easier to cut to the chase by posting here. It appears that the sbsh clock does not have an alarm. Can you educate me a bit on point 3?
  4. n99hockey

what do you want to know?
    programs in ROM (default apps on the Q) do have an exit feature. so even though they are running in the background WM is designed this way. its not necessary to kill all tasks all the time. i mean if you want to go crazy be my guest...but its not necessary. i kill tasks maybe once a week if even that often.
  5. Parout

Parout New Member

Hey, its all good. A bit of a newbie in regards to Mobile OS. Just asking so that I understand. From what you have explained it is not necessary. Now what about 3rd party apps. Would recommend loading them on the sd card? Do these need closing or do they close automatically when you exit them? Be easy, I'm a newb on this and just want to keep the phone as efficient as possible. Thanks Again!
  6. n99hockey

i have installed EVERYTHING on my sd card...you got the space you might as well :smile:
    i dont notice any slow downs by doing it either

most if not all 3rd party apps have an 'exit' feature so you can acutally close them and they wont be in the task manager
    you dont have to close them but atleast you have the option...i tend to since they arent default apps