8GB SDHC issues with Moto Q Global

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Jussi_AO, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jussi_AO

Jussi_AO New Member

8GB SDHC issues with Moto Q Global

I recently tried to use my 8GB micro SDHD in my Moto Q Global, which would not read that the card was present. So I downloaded, installed the hack sdhc.cab and soft rebooted. This allowed my phone to see 4GB of the card only. This memory is not faulty or bad as I use it both in my PC and my camera to it's full 8GB (7.something if you want to get techincal :) )

My question is...Is there another hack like SDHC that is needed to read higher mem SDHC? I have searched both everythingq and the internet, but have not found anything. Also, I have done a hard reset with no luck either. The specs on Motorola's site say "Removable Memory: Micro SD (up to 6GB and beyond)"...

Any help would be great, Thanks.
  2. p0lye

p0lye New Member

That is interesting. I am currently considering buying an 8gig card and it would be good to know if this is cleared up. Have you tried formatting the card from within the phone? The specs I have read actually state that the Q9h will support a 32GB microSD card...

Do you have any updates?
    thx
  3. Jussi_AO

Jussi_AO New Member

HTC SDHC hack for 8GB mem

As of yet I still have not found an answer to this. I have search the Internet and only came across one other forum that had any info. The berated the person and told him(her) that her memory card was bad. Now this is not the case with mine as I have stated I use in on the PC and in my camera to the full 8GB...I would say that it is a possible bad memory slot on my phone, though it does show 8GB when formatted and fully loaded with music, but the phone can not access it. If I have the phone format it, I get 4GB and can load that much on. Motorola tells me it is the memory (as the slot works for 4GB), SanDisk says it is the phone (as it works in my PC and camera)

If by chance you do get one and it works let me know.

If anyone has any other suggestions besides the HTC SDHC hack to try that would be great. It would be nice to be able to use the full 8GB on my phone :)
  4. Jussi_AO

Jussi_AO New Member

5. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

I can verify that an 8GB card works on the Q9m as my boss also has the phone and it works for him. Though, he had issues with trying to access the memory card from anything other than the phone. His explanation was that the micro to SD adapter or card reader (can't remember exactly, but seems more likely the reader than the adapter) couldn't read that large of a card. Not sure if that helps any or not. Pretty sure his was a San Disk as well.
  6. alrotoM

alrotoM New Member

I hope you're right as I just ordered on on eBay for $50.
    Wink
  7. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

I assume you are referring to Q9h?

My Q9h works with 8G out of the box w/o me installing any third party driver.
  8. p0lye

p0lye New Member

I just ordered mine as well...

I post my results once it arrives...Unsure
  9. alorotoM

alorotoM New Member

I just got my SanDisk 8GB micro SD, plugged it into the Q9h's side port, tried to format it with the phone's utility and it reported, "Card exceeds 4GB" (or something of that nature). So still no added memory $52 later!
    :thumbdown
  10. p0lye

p0lye New Member

That is also very interesting! Please let me know if you try the sdhc_support.zip fix listed above. I would be interested in those results as well.

Also, when did you buy your Q9h (Global)? I wonder if there are already different hardware revs...

Thanks for the update
  11. SprintQ9C

SprintQ9C New Member

MicroSD or Mini SD??

I have a Q9c with Sprint and am looking to buy an SD card. Should I be looking for a mini SD or micro SD card though? I was told it was mini SD before but am confused now because this thread mentions micro SD only...

Also, does anyone know what the maximum capacity card is that I can buy w/o it giving me any problems? I'm thinking about buying a 4GB card but if it can fit higher than that I may consider getting a larger one.

Thank you!!
  12. alorotoM

alorotoM New Member

My phone ws bought at an AT&t store.
    Even though it would not format the card, under Memory Manager it shows:
    Card Storage: 7.60GB
    Used: 0.00GB
    Free: 7.60GB

So who knows if its formatted or not. Gotta go on the road for a few days so won't have chance to play with any utilities or try to upload some large music files.
    I sure hope its working OK.

So far, I'm not impressed with the documentation of this device.
    Motorola says 4GB while AT&T says "up to 32GB".
    The manuals are not technically inclined, are they?
  13. p0lye

p0lye New Member

You may be good to go...

Well...according to this post on the motorola forums, you may be good to go.
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes, you are good to go. I just installed my "shiny" new 8gb micro sd card that I picked up from ebay for $51 shipped. Works just fine in the Q9c (which lists 32gb compatability in the manual)
    BTW p0lye.. you found my other favorite forum...:wink:
  15. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

wow, not all Q9h are the same, isn't it?

Mine works just perfectly fine w/o any need to install 3rd party drivers, just like my media player works out of the box on RTSP streaming media w/o any hacks...:geek:

can you format it in your desktop first, and then plug it into Q9h?

Worst case, see if you can partition your 8G into 2 of 4G each. not the ideal way but I think this should workaround for time being.
  16. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

would recommend that you get micro SD for future proofing.

whether it's 4G or 8G, unfortunately I can't comment on Q9c since I don't own it.
  17. alorotoM

alorotoM New Member

No my new 8gig card is definitely not working in my brand new AT&T Q9h. Just got off the phone with Motorola tech support and they say that the max size card for this phone is 6GB.

So I don't know what you guys with working 8gig cards in a Q9h are doing, but it ain't happening on my rig.

Anyone want to buy a brand new 8GB SanDisk card? Unsure
  18. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

how about doing what I have suggested earlier, partition your 8G into 6G and 2G, does it still work? Previously, a 2G mini-SD would only work on my WM5 phone if I partition them (since the phone supports only up to 1G and I didn't have the high capacity driver installed)
  19. alorotoM

alorotoM New Member

Well as I said earlier I'm on the road for awhile and away from my desktop PC. But will try it when I get back. Is partitioning done via a desktop system like XP? Does WM6 behave similar to Windows XP as far as partitioning, formatting, etc? Or will I need a special app to do this type of stuff?

I've got lots of technical experience with MS-DOS and all the flavors of Windows over the years, but this is my first venture into the Windows Mobile universe.
  20. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=267475

since Q9h supports mass storage USB, the WM5storage may not be needed. But you may have to try it out yourself.

PS: I havn't try this, but you may want to try partition directly on your SD card (if you have card reader) and see if it works first before trying out via mass storage linkage.