6.1 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by motoqSK, Apr 3, 2009.

1. altan

altan New Member

what does flashing mean? and what does the phone being locked mean?
    cos i bought my phone in australia. will the files work for me?
    i really want wm 6.1!!
  2. jack99

jack99 New Member

Consider this your lucky day...hahaha...i think the previous Moto Q9 forums were closed. I was googling and trying to find a way to unlock my Asian Q9h wireless G when I came to this thread.
    Below are some tips and tricks which I copied from previous forums.
    I think some of the urls are dead.
    I only copied those that interest me.
    sorry for not covering all.

before doing any flashing...pls copy down all those proxy and gprs settings
    u need to manually add them later.
    i forgot to copy my MMS one...so now I cannot read mms.
    the wm6.1 also does not come with pdf viewer and chinese characters.
    the european version is german...so you need to figure out where to set your region and language before flashing.

http://motomoddinguk.info/showthread.php?t=847
    steps
    Step 1: Make sure your version of Windows is up to date (SP3 for XP users, and SP1 for Vista Home users)
    Step 2: RSD Lite versions 3.7 and above seem to work for virtually everyone. I used 4.1, and have since posted my app at 4shared.com. Do a search and ye shall find
    Step 3: The official AT&T WM 6.1 file available from us is available here (SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.09.28R_MODEM4_U_40.11.40R_04_ USNORMANATT02NAR2W611A005-ATT_1719931436.sbf). If your phone is already unlocked, the unlocked version is here (SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.09.28R_NOLOCK_MODEM4_U_40.11. 40R_04_USNORMANATT02NAR2W611A005-ATT_1719931436.sbf)
    Step 4: A couple (literally 2) users have posted that they lost the contents of their storage card. This is NOT a common occurence, and your Storage Card should never be wiped as a result of a flash. But just to be safe, take it out. Can't hurt.
    Step 5: Once you have the drivers installed and RSD Lite installed, make sure your device is disconnected from computer and off. Then, start up your Q Global in Bootloader mode. To do this, hold down * and # buttons while turning on the phone.
    Step 6: Fire up RSD Lite on your computer.
    Step 7: Connect phone via the USB cable. No, nothing else will work except the USB cable. If you're using a mini to micro USB adapter, it most likely won't work either. So please locate the original cable or get one. RSD Lite will now detect your phone and should install the appropriate drivers.
    Step 8: Navigate to the MMUK 6.1 update. Unzip it. You should now have a file with an .sbf extension.
    Step 9: Navigate to .sbf file from within RSD Lite.
    Step 10: Click "Start" to begin the process. Leave the phone and PC alone at this time. The phone will start loading the RAMDL, and then the code groups which contain the actual files that are stored on the Flash chip. After this part is done, RSD will report under its status box to manually power up your phone. Don't worry. Ignore this because the phone actually will reboot on its own, and give you a blue screen that your phone is powering on for the "first time", and to please wait. When this is done, you will get a "success" message in the progress box, and your phone will automatically boot up, with 6.1 installed. Enjoy
  3. jack99

jack99 New Member

after you flash...you need to change your y and z key mapping if you are using the european german rom
    i used PHM Registry editor to edit.
    pls note...do at your own risk...i copied these from other forums...so they are not my effort...
    chinese are just good at copying eh?

Change keys y to z
    http://www.maximus.ws/forum/showthread.php?p=15751
    \windows\profiles\guest\History
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\DefaultLayout change it 00000409
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e001 ffff
    Change Keyboard Layout Value 0000**** (eg 00000409 for US layout; 00000407 for German layout)
    Reboot...

other tweaks
    lcd font for weather
    Do a search (find) in File Manager for *.ttf then rename LCD.ttf to LCD.old

this is just for my country...but it gives u a rough idea.
    then i set proxy for ideas....165.21.42.84:8080
    then i just create an entry under gprs..."ideas email"...
    connect to : "the internet"
    accesspoint: internet
    username: 659999999 (your mobile number)
    password: your ideas password

Setting the IE cache onto your storage card:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders
    And change the following keys to as shown:
    \Storage Card\Pocket IE\Temporary Internet Files
    \Storage Card\Pocket IE\Cookies
    \Storage Card\Pocket IE\History
    Stop Media net from function from going dormant:1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers
    2 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A 38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}
    3 MEdia Net Set AlwaysOn to 1
    delete medianet and att
    Find the proxy that Cingular uses:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4 C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\Cingular WAP
    I have not found a better proxy but I would like to know one.

Change the web browser button on the top left of the phone to launch Internet Explorer instead of Opera:
    Launch the registry application on your mobile device
    Go to HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Keybd
    Find the value APP3_Path
    Change the data from OperaLaunch.exe to iexplore.exe
    Change the default homepage of Internet Explorer from AT&T's Mobile Net to Google.
    Launch the registry application on your mobile device
    Go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\
    Find the value home_0405
    Change the data from http://device.home to http://www.google.com
    Find the value home_0407
    Find the value home_0409
    I'm personally a big fan of Threaded SMS. But I'm sure there are some out there who are not. For those uninspired few, I happened across a Registry Edit to disable threading on 6.1 devices. (The author claims it works on both Professional & Standard devices (PPC & SP).
    In your registry editor....Simply navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\OEM\
    Under the registry key, create a new DWORD value with value name as SMSInboxThreadingDisabled and set it value data to 1. (then restart your phone)
    Obviously...if you come to your senses eventually, you can change the value to 0 to revert back to threaded messages, or delete the dword entry entirely. (then restart your phone)
    Click the credit link to also download a cab file to do this automatically. (Note that the .CAB file will also install the registry key to force enable the Sent SMS notification bubble.)
  4. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

Jack99 this is great feedback, thank you so much. Do you know if I flashed the Unlocked at&t ROM w/o my phone been unlocked would it still get rid of some bloatware, such as Xpress mail, at&t Mall and those sort of things?
  5. jack99

jack99 New Member

Hi Chestvrg,
    no worries..i merely did a copy and paste.
    I did flash my asian q9h with AT&t rom before...it did contain lots of bloatware...but i forgot what were the exact names
    i am not sure if you can flast an unlocked phone...you may have to check with other experts here bec mine is an unlocked phone.
    the German European rom seems ok...but it lacks pdf viewer and chinese characters
    i wonder why there is not much rom cooks for Q9h as compared to HTC Dopod.
    previously...i was using the HTC Hermes and I was flashing every week with new roms from xdadeveloper forum
  6. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

Thank you Jack99 I was able to flash my motoQ9h with the 'unlocked' ROM, eventhough it remains locked to at&t. I immetiately was able to purchase an unlocked code at: www.gsmphonesource.com and should be receiving my unlocked code soon to remove the 'subsidy' lock from my moto Q9h.

Yeah about not that many ROMs out there for the Q9h? (specially here at ETQ) whee are all these ROMs????
  7. jack99

jack99 New Member

Chestvrg,
    I did download some roms before the 2 other sites were shutdown
    does ETQ allow us to upload into its file server?
    i also have a wm6.0 rom...but somehow...i couldn't flash mine back to wm6.0
    i wanted 6.0 bec i wanted the chinese char and pdf viewer
    i found out the copy and paste function of wm6.1 does not always work the way you want it.
  8. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

I didn't even know there was a copy and paste function on WM6.1 standard!
  9. jack99

jack99 New Member

that was the only reason why i flashed to 6.1
    hahahaha
  10. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

You know jack99 that in my WM6.1 professional Palm Treo Pro, having the functions of cut, copy & paste and having the ability to sync all my outlook notes makes it so much easier. Wonder why WM6.1 Standard didn't include note syncing on it's active sync.
  11. jack99

jack99 New Member

Hi Chestvrg,
    i did notice that as well
    i also cannot understand
    i used the Task list instead now to keep track of notes and add reminder alarm.
  12. theonemanarmy

theonemanarmy New Member

The 1st ROM file you listed above is 6.1 for MALAYSIA? I want to have a copy also. Can I have your email or IM? Thanks!
  13. ariescr

ariescr New Member

Hi I have an unlocked motoq 9h, i want to updated to 6.1, do you still got the unlocked update ?
  14. phatmanxxl

phatmanxxl New Member

What exactly is RSD_lite? Is it the unbranded motorola rom or is it an AT&T rom? My phone is unlocked and I dont have a copy of the code so I dont want to have to pay to re-unlock it.

And rsd is 6.1 right?
  15. relisted

relisted Member

sorry havent been on in about... almost a year. i like how its all WM now..
    but is it possible yet for the original Q to have WM 6.1
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

haha...good one relisted! =)
  17. Tranzystor82

Tranzystor82 Member

Hello
    No RSD is extrenal program for allow flash any rom ito your device ... i have good rom unbradet and unlocked if you wont that i upload to server.

If you wont flash your moto under vista you must use RSD 4.2 (with path) working fine and stable

Chears
  18. relisted

relisted Member

lol i WAS serious.. i didnt know if we had any major break thoughs since ive ben one hahaha

maybe....

ill figure it out? :p