6.1 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by motoqSK, Apr 3, 2009.

1. motoqSK

motoqSK New Member

6.1 Upgrade?

I just bought a new Q9h from the States and now use it in Europe. It was pre-loaded with Windows 6.0. The phone was unlocked and purchased aftermarket through the internet. However, when I go to the Motorola site to upgrade to 6.1, it says that my mobile is "already upgraded to the current version."

Anyone know what I need to do to get this phone upgraded?

Many thanks!
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if it came with 6.0 then it was made some time ago as the new Q9h units have been coming with 6.1 for at least 6 months. motorola software update won't upgrade a phone if it was made long enough ago to possibly be out of warranty (due to legal reasons) I would look for a monster flash file and rsd lite to flash it. however, if you do flash it with the AT&T rom it would then be locked to AT&T
  3. dginfw

dginfw New Member

I bought my Q9 off ebay and it came with 6.0 on it. When I went to the Motorola site (on my home computer) I was able to upgrade to 6.1 because I put in a 'purchase date' of about 6 months ago. I downloaded it at home and then transfered it to my phone...now when I look up the phone info in Sktools in shows a 'build date' of the download/install date for my phone. lol
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

unfortunately that actually didn't fool it. the software checks the manufacture date when you connect the phone. so the phone was actually still in warranty when you updated it
  5. motoqSK

motoqSK New Member

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll just leave it as it is since I'm in Europe and I don't want to somehow create a network block on the phone. Win 6.0 seems fine to me as I am only using it for a few things, really.

But I am actually curious about a few other issues:

- I bought the phone because it has 3G (HSDPA) capabilities. When I have my 3G card in it, it only shows the "E" symbol at the top for the Edge network. The guy at the network store loaded my card into his phone and it immediately showed "3G" connection...

I also cannot find (for the life of me) any other settings folder to where I can switch between networks and/or connect/disconnect the internet. It looks like the phone is "always" connected to the Edge network, but I noticed that my data is transferring only when I search for something on the internet...
  6. bmurf

bmurf New Member

The NA Q9h only has 3g in the NA (850/1900), but has GPS. The Europe Q9h only has 3g in Europe (2100), but no GPS.
  7. ModelMaker

ModelMaker New Member

I have 6.1 and don't know if this is available on 6.0 but...there is a folder called System Tools and in it there is an app called Band Select. Provides options for auto, 3g, and/or GSM.
  8. bmurf

bmurf New Member

Is the phone ATT branded? Be careful trying to update to 6.1. You could lock the phone.

Band Selection could be in two places.....either under Settings/Band Selection or under Settings/Phone/Network/Band Selection

If the phone is ATT branded type *#1546792*# and then send. The option will then be available in Settings/Phone/Network/Band Selection. But, if it is ATT branded, this will likely not help since 2100 3g will not be available.
  9. motoqSK

motoqSK New Member

The phone is ATT branded (from Ebay) and I found the network settings through "phone"... However, there is no 2100 option so I guess I will only get the Edge network.

It's a shame because the 3G network (and gsm network in general) is so much better here in Europe like in the US...
  10. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Don't feel bad. I'm right here practically in the middle of Fl and i've got no 3G...
  11. bmurf

bmurf New Member

well, you do have GPS, which is not available on the EMEA Q9h
  12. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Good point..lol
  13. hokagekira

hokagekira New Member

hi there, i jus bought a cheap moto q9h off ebay and well due to the influence of my dad tts why i bought it as well..

have been trying to figure out to make this phone way cooler and to console myself for not getting a nokie E71, apparently i tried to upgrade the wm software to 6.1 and yet they have indicated its the latest..

would motorola centre be able to do the update manually?.. and what does the 6.1 contains? i was actually wowed by the new homescreen.. but i guess its was like a moth to light.. wonder if this window mobile thingy is good at all
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if motorola software update says you have the latest, it just means that your phone is out of warranty. you can use RSD lite to flash it to 6.1 if you find the monster flash file for 6.1 (for the Q9h there's an att version and I think the generic is for europe)
    most of the noticible differences in 6.1 are threaded text messaging and the sliding panel homescreen. but there is some behind the scenes stuff that you won't notice so much.
    personally I love WinMo and won't use a phone without it (it does everything that i need a phone to do)
  15. hokagekira

hokagekira New Member

hmmm.. by chance do you have any sites for me to get the flashing mods?.. the ones i found were all broken links...

anyways how do u identify what kind of phone u're using e.g. European model or asian?
  16. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

Wow paraCAD, I live in Miami and from I know from experience, we get 3G in all tri-county (Miami-Dade, Broward & Palm Bch), what are u in the middle of the everglades!
  17. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

I have both of these flashing files, email me so that I can send them to you.
  18. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Which do you have. They are going to be up to 75-80 Mb un compressed. Can't send those through email. What flash files do you have? :) -Q
  19. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

I have RSD_lite_v3.7 (8.4MB size) and I have HANDSET_USB_driver32_v3.7.0 (1.9MB size) Both of these are the flash files I was referring to.

Now the ROM files yes are huge:
    (1) - SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.07.37R_MODEM4_U_40.03.07R_01_USNORMANRTMYR2W611A00A_1FF-RETAILMY_2930451634.s (108MB size)

(2) - SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.09.28R_NOLOCK_MODEM4_U_40.11.40R_04_USNORMANATT02NAR2W611A005-ATT_1719931436.sbf (101MB size)

I'll try posting them to maybe fileden you think?
  20. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member