6.1: The GPS is FAST!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by stevefo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. stevefo

stevefo New Member

6.1: The GPS is FAST!

I was amazed at how fast my Q9h picked up GPS after installing Live Search. Anyone have the same experience?
  2. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

Aaargh. I can't believe I'm going to install Windows Live to find out.
  3. stevefo

stevefo New Member

Do it! Do it! Just Do it! LOL:laugh2:
  4. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

I noticed the same thing. Way faster lock in both Google maps and Live Search.
  5. p0lye

p0lye New Member

oh...my experience thus far has been night and day from 6.0. i'm averaging 6 secs to find and lock on to sats!
  6. George Knighton

It looks like I am a little stupid. My WL address is not Hotmail, and I cannot find a way to tab over to where it says "hotmail.com" to alter it.
  7. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

with 6.0 it would always take at least 3 minutes, sometimes as much as 10 minutes to acquire a lock but now it has taken no longer than 10 seconds!!!

for me this is the best part of the upgrade
  8. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

you can go into the registry and remove Hotmail.com and replace it with whatever your domain is (e.g:msn.com) that is what I had to do.

I think the Key is something like HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\microsoft\
    windows live . . .

Also, Windows live and Windows Live Search Mobile are different animals all together. Windows live adds MS hot mail to your Chome panel where as Live Search Mobile gives you the GPS enabled maps and search capability. See http://www.livesearchmobile.com/windows_mobile.htm to download Live Search Mobile.
  9. George Knighton

Thank you for both bits of information. As you surmised, I did have the wrong version. :-P
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Um, yeah, it was posted in the differences thread, which when created, is what your post was intended to be a host for.

Now theres a thread for GPS' speed....
  11. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

That was the first thing I noticably noticed.
    Before reinstalling LiveSearch, I tried out Google Maps to check out the 'MyLocation' that Mexiken was so happy about.

The GPS latched onto 4 satellites within seconds. In 6.0, I could make my dinner and dessert AND finish a cigar before any semblance of GPS could be noticed.

I'm happy!

:2cool: R J
  12. unsung

unsung New Member

It's been a while guys since I posted, but the lock on speed now is way faster for me too. Got a Nokia N95, hence my absence here, but after I installed 6.1, ran google maps and windows live search, both mobiles take about the same time to get a good lock, with google maps for a fair test.

Debating now to fork over another $100 for Garmin XT for the Q, I have it on the N95 and it's a champ on it. So has anyone taken the leap to install Garmin, Route66, TomTom, etc. yet?
  13. George Knighton

I'm really not finding Live Search and 6.1 discernibly faster than the GPS lock I was getting before.

I'm probably just crazy and as usual out here in left field by myself.

You guys are saying you're getting New Lock faster than 6.0, for sure? You're absolutely sure that you're not being fooled by Live Search's memory of the last noted GPS position?

I'm still glad I got Live Search, becaues the maps are more up to date than Google Maps.
  14. unsung

unsung New Member

I tested it with google maps, since both my mobiles have it, and yeah their about the same speed. Before the Q would take ages to lock on, as the N95 would take seconds.

Maybe it's your location or something, because I noticed the difference right away, and couldn't believe how quick it locked on to like 5 satelites.
  15. unsung

unsung New Member

Just ran WLS, and selected maps, then use GPS, took 8 seconds to lock on my position. No way it was that fast before 6.1, ever.
  16. iamthekiller

iamthekiller New Member

i don't know what you people are smoking. gps takes forever to pick up my location. i've tried google maps and microsoft live search. i'm using the thing in NYC and surrounding areas. by the time gps picks up, i've found where i'm going just by looking at the maps
  17. unsung

unsung New Member

Are you inside or outside when trying to lock on?

Doubt marlboro smooth's effect my Q :tounge:
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

It's probably the location. I am also in NY - Brooklyn to be exact- and even with the gpsid tool it takes a long time to lock on. If I try again within a few minutes the lock-on is much quicker as expected.
    I just disabled the gpsid tool, reset google maps and live search to use the windows driver. I will test the lock on time next time I'm outside.
  19. George Knighton

Of course I'm going to have to ask you how you did that. :)

I just tested outside in the parking lot of one of my places, and although both Google and Live Search worked fine, it's not especially speedy. Live Search took close to 3 minutes.
  20. unsung

unsung New Member

I'm assuming you guys are using the newest versions? I downloaded mine from my mobile's browser, instead of installing the old cab files I had on my pc.

Wonder if buildings hamper the lock on, kinda block reception maybe? Granted the highest things in my blumpkin town, is trees. Seriously.

Yeah, how do you reset these apps too?