5GB Data Plan

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by ncklclrc, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ncklclrc

ncklclrc New Member

5GB Data Plan

Im planning on picking up a 9c in a couple weeks and was looking at the data plans. I know the costs and everything but was wondering how it actually works it terms of time. How much internet time will I have with the 5GB plan or is it worth the extra 20-25 to get the 10GB?
  2. cliffr39

cliffr39 New Member

what 10gb plan? I only know of the $29.99 email and web for smartphones plan (says unlimited web browsing) and the $44.99 plan (it says adds verizon wireless sync)
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if you just surf the net and check email then there is no way you will go over

if you tons stream music, use it to tether to a PC or stream tons videos then you might go over

but the average user wont touch 5gb
  4. Thomas M

Thomas M New Member

The 29.99 plan has a 5Gb soft cap and the 44.99 plan has a 10Gb soft cap.
  5. I don't stream, know people who do and they don't come close.
    Last month with heavy internet use and light email I used 77,000 mb which is what .77gb?
  6. n99hockey

.077gb i think
    if 1gb is 1.0 - 100mb would be .10
    (i think)

but 77mb is easier to remember:tounge:
  7. cliffr39

cliffr39 New Member

Are you sure about that? Everything I've read only shows a 5gb roof (and their terms say it only applies to the BroadBandAccess card - even though we know they also apply it to the PDA/smartphone plans). But I don't see any mention on their site, or google, about 10gb. I thought they used to have that and downgraded it to the current 5gb. Just asking because I didn't know they had one and might not be a bad option to have when I get mad at Time Warner again and cancel their roadrunner ;)
  8. n99hockey

this is a quote from there 'additional calling plan information' from there site when siging up for a new contract
  9. Thomas M

Thomas M New Member

Heh yeah what hockey said.
  10. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I was a bit peeved about the 5GB soft cap but I won't lie, I have not even used close to that a month. In fact I'll be lucky if I clear 500 megs this month, and I browse whenever I want to, and even stream internet radio. You'd have to be using an ungodly amount of data to break that cap... and if you're using that much data on a phone, you probably should re-think your priorities in life.

It always amuses me when they prohibit P2P with their data network... as if anyone in their right mind would try and use bittorrent or something with an EVDO connection and expect to get their files in this century. EVDO is fast, but not *that* fast.
  11. I completely agree. I think they are setting a precedent for the future?

pot 9m
  12. Thomas M

Thomas M New Member

Hmmmm tethering and bt/downloading are the only you could get even close......lol oh and google maps, that thing takes tons of bandwidth....
  13. Kelly Sellers Banks

Kelly Sellers Banks New Member

Trying to find out how much internet time 5 GB would approximately be. I know I have read it depends on what you are doing. It would mainly be used for Facebooking/Farmville and yahoo chat while online. There would sometimes be 3 devices used on it at a time while traveling but all would be using it for about the same thing. Not gaming, movies or downloading music. Thanks
  14. n99hockey

if thats it then your fine,even with movies and music you would ok in moderation.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

When I had the Q9h, I would tether at least once a week for about 3 hours streaming football games during tailgates before game time, and use slingbox everyday for at least an hour on my phone. I broke 1GB only once that I can remember. Granted I was on AT&T, but how much of a difference could there be?