4GB mini SD cards

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by ridiculogic, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Damage?

No permanent damage will be done to the Q. If the Q plays really badly with the card, the card could get corrupted, but based on what I've read, that's not likely, either.

Steve
  2. bband

bband New Member

I bought a 4GB card optimized for the Q off ebay and it works perfectly.
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Optimized For The Q?

"Optimized for the Q"? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: That sounds like marketing gobbledygook. Would you mind telling us how it's "optimized" or linking to the site that claims that?

Steve
  4. bband

bband New Member

5. gmardre

gmardre New Member

"Optimized" for......I'll have to remember that one.
  6. littlemojo

littlemojo New Member

Another success story...

:smile: Just received my 4Gb card from the same Ebay link above: "Super3cShopping." It came with a sheet of paper showing that it passed tests on a MotoQ by showing up in Memory Manager and by running a file with Windows Media. Yep, worked right out of the box. I'm watching a movie on my Q right now- "The Island"- and can't believe how great it looks!! It's an XviD playing on The Core Media Player software that I downloaded from this site. You can joke about "optimization" all you want, but this thing works!! :2cool:
  7. otacon

otacon New Member

My 2GB Sandisk will be here tomorrow and I just got a 4GB "Topram" card like others have been using tonight. If the 4GB card works, just throw the 2GB back on Ebay...lol :laugh2:
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Optimized For The Q?

I didn't say that it wouldn't work, just that I doubt it's "optimized" for the Q.

As far as I know, flash memory card makers don't "optimize" their cards for specific devices -- that would just reduce the market for the card (would you buy a card "optimized" for the Q if you didn't have a Q?) and create more SKUs for them to deal with.

Now you can say the guy has tested the card on the Q (which he claims to do, although it's easy enough to photocopy one page and ship it to everybody), but testing is not the same as optimizing.

But if it's working for you, that's the important thing. I personally wouldn't buy something like this from eBay, but that's me.

Steve
  9. dmaldo

dmaldo New Member

I just bought the 4GB Card from the link above, and waiting to get it in.. I suppose i shall find out how well it works. I'll let you guys know.
  10. bband

bband New Member

Here's an update on my 4GB card from Super3cShopping on Ebay. I have loaded 15 movies on it and have plenty of room to spare. I haven't had any problems with it.
  11. abrigham

abrigham New Member

It looks like from the guy's description that its "optimized" for the Q, in that it is a 4GB miniSD that is non-SDHC compliant. Since most newer cards that are 4GB+ are made according to the SDHC standard, they apparently don't work in the Q. His cards aren't SDHC, so they do work.
  12. otacon

otacon New Member

The 4GB Topram card did not work. Formatted it every which way and the Q would not recognize it. My friend got a Sprint Q when they first came out and his will recognize the Topram card. I put his Topram card into my Q and it did not work. I'm getting one of the "Optimized" cards so we'll see with that one. Just sold my Topram card on Ebay so no biggie. He hasn't run the update yet either so not sure if there is some connection.
  13. huang74

huang74 New Member

I should have read this prior to ordering a 4GB on Ebay! just got it today and indeed, it does not work! Question - If I get a 1GB or 2GB on Ebay, will any of them work or do I have to get the one that's "Optimized for Q"?

Thanks.
  14. hanski9

hanski9 New Member

You need a standard chip. No HC (High Capacity) will work with the Q.
  15. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

eBay?

Again, why would you buy a memory card on eBay? You can get brand name 2 GB cards from reputable vendors on the Web for under $30. Even if you save a few bucks on eBay, what's the point?

Steve
  16. littlemojo

littlemojo New Member

'cause a lot of people, including me, have had success with that particular card! That's why I would buy it again given the choice. And we're talking the 4 Gb, NOT the 2 Gb. Again, super3Cshopping seems to have worked for everyone that has tried it. The Topram is iffy, and works with some, not others. Any other card use at your own risk. Got it?:2cool:
  17. otacon

otacon New Member

4gb Topram card did not work, the "optimized" card from the seller others have bought from worked fine. :laugh2:
  18. risan214

risan214 New Member

I just ordered the 4gb Topram card from ebay and it arrived today. I put the card in my phone and it came up as unknown. Well I restarted the phone with the card inside and and the phone saw the card without any additional work. Figured I report my findings.
  19. RFI4U

RFI4U New Member

Got a 4GB TopRam today from eBay that was advertised as Q ready.
    Phone won't read it, computer won't read it, camera won't read it.
    And I mean won't even acknowledge it's there other then to lock up the
    PC if I try to open the reader with the card in it.....
    *sigh* :frown:
  20. hanski9

hanski9 New Member

WOW, so many mixed results for TopRam. Glad my Qmemory disk worked as expected with only a need to format it FAT32, install and boot the phone. But then that was what this forum told me I would need to do and it was 100% spot on.