4GB mini SD cards

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by ridiculogic, Dec 11, 2006.

1. heycow

heycow New Member

I've had a couple things happen. First time the card lost the FAT table and neither my computer nor the Q could see it. Second time (after a full Fat32 format) I suddenly had a card of about 100 empty folders named " . ". Other things that have happened is I've ended-up with garbage named files, everything gone except for one folder and a couple gibrish folders, etc. I have a 2GB card on the way. When that arrives I'll probably return the 4GB or see about getting another one.

It is either all or nothing. When it works, it works 100%. When it "breaks", it's fully unusable and I have to do a reformat on my PC.
  2. avar28

avar28 New Member

damn...

well, I found out that it wasnt my minisd card that was the problem....

...it was WMP
  3. heycow

heycow New Member

How'd you figure that out? I do know that I only noticed the problem when I went to play music, so WMP could be the culprit. Maybe I'll try out TCMP and see if the problems disappear.
  4. avar28

avar28 New Member

there are times when WMP doesn't allow me to update or play music from the library even though the memory card is in and my phone recognizes it.
  5. Uncle650

Uncle650 New Member

I have songs stored on my 4gb card an does not seem to be a problem playing music with wmp.
  6. Sinij_kot

Sinij_kot New Member

4Gb card is still not recognized

I read in another tread that using specifically "quick format" in the PC will make the card recognizable in the Q. I tried all the different combinations of formatting/rebooting and the card is still not recognized.
    My PC and a Nikon D80 camera sees it just fine.
    At this point I might have to go with the 2Gb for the Q.
  7. Uncle650

Uncle650 New Member

I copied the information from my 2gb card to the 4gb card, to make sure that it was formatted for the Q.
  8. timtlm

timtlm New Member

4GB card that works!

Okay, so I bought the TopRam card that everyone mentioned, and I could not get it to work. I ended up finding a different seller that advertised that the 4GB card works with the moto q. I ordered the card and it works. If anyone is interested, the seller is super3cshopping, and below is the link of the auction that I bought. Or, you can just search for motorola q 4gb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190094918901
  9. biggggant

biggggant New Member

I was actually about to mention that card from ebay. All i did was put it in my q and it worked. So far I coppied 300mb from my 512 card plus added some other files for a total of 1GB and everything works great.No jerkiness of MP3 playback or video playback. I can veiw and save pictures with no problem. They even go as far as including a test form that they claim they used a Q to make sure it works before shipping. If anything changes with the performance I'll make sure to update you guys.
  10. BigT

BigT New Member

I ordered mine from MemorySuppliers.com a weekago, and my shipping info isnt working right, all it says that its in the system... since monday any idea?
  11. Greg'sMotoQ

Greg'sMotoQ New Member

I received my 4gb card from my ebay supplier. It seems to work fine and WMP sees the files, but it shows half of the disc as used, and the other half available. I re-formatted it as FAT32, but it shows the same thing. Is there something wrong with the card? or am I doing something wrong?
  12. garry

garry New Member

13. mombopete

mombopete New Member

I had the TopRam 4gb card for about 2 months and it just stopped reading it on my PC. In the memory manager on my Q it showed me having 1gb of free space and when I tried to put anything on it it said the disk was full. This was the first problem that I had with it.
  14. marjwilliams

marjwilliams New Member

4gb

I got my card from that ebayer that is linked up early in this thread. It was perfect "out of the box." And I have had no trouble with any type of files or my phone recognizing the available storage. Thanks for the help!
  15. biggggant

biggggant New Member

ok BAD NEWS. THE CARD from ebay corrupted on me twice and after two reformats and not installing programs on it it is now not recognized by my computer, q or PS3. Looks like ill have to RMA it and maybe just get a 2gb oh well if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know
  16. xlotusx

xlotusx New Member

i have a 4gb mini sd that i use in my sidekick ( the sidekick manual states that it can only support up to 2gb cards but it magically works on mine)
    since i'm very new to the motorola q community and windows mobile, my question is, whats the worst that can happen if i put a 4gb mini sd in? would the device lock up and cause permanent damage? i'm not exactly a person that you would call tech savvy so pls excuse my newbie question =) thanks in advance
  17. xlotusx

xlotusx New Member

sorry,i accidentally posted twice
  18. Greg'sMotoQ

Greg'sMotoQ New Member

I finally got the full 4gb to show up by Quick Formatting it. Then if I put it into the card reader and try to transfer files, it says the files are not able to copy over. Also WMP doesn't see the storage card as a device. So when I plug the phone in and transfer files over to it it takes forever because it looks like it's converting to a mobile device and when it says it's full, it's only done 1 gb worth of music. Any idea how i can get the full 4gb onto the card?
  19. bband

bband New Member

I just ordered my 4GB card from the same place on Ebay to go with my Q that I am getting Thursday. I also ordered a Moto H700 headset from buy.com. I can't wait until Thursday!!
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Because It's Not The Right Card

Buying that card will be a waste of money. That's an SDHC (High Capacity) card, and the Q doesn't support SDHC.

Steve