4GB mini SD cards

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by ridiculogic, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Summary

That's basically correct. I'd add that you definitely do not want High Capacity (HC) cards no matter what the size and that 4 GB cards may need to be formatted (probably FAT32).

Steve
  2. Bwizzy

Bwizzy New Member

I've become tired of being left out the loop with these memory cards. So I ordered both 2gb/4gb. And I ordered my 4gb from said eBay seller. Them shit is mad cheap. But this thread helped my decision a lot.
  3. evil247

evil247 New Member

I went ahead and ordered a 2gb card last night and will probably pick up a 4gb once more success is had. The so called expert at verizon told me only a 1gb card would work. I used their Q to check prices on cards and passed on their 60 dollar 1gb mini sd card.
  4. IgotQ

IgotQ New Member

2G formatted as FAT32

My 2G mini sd is formatted as FAT32 and it works fine. I'm able to watch movies. Haven't tried mp3 yet as I have an iPod.

Will check out the 4G that everyone is talking about.
  5. PEZCORE

PEZCORE New Member

well I am awaiting my 4GB card, If I don't get it to work properly I can just use it to store stuff for my Nintendo Wii I got last night :smile:
  6. CMantis

CMantis New Member

7. braeleure2

braeleure2 New Member

More 4GB success stories

My son and I also have the Memory Suppliers 4GB cards, $79 ea. with "Lifetime Warranty" at http://www.memorysuppliers.com./inst4gbmised.html, running just fine on our Qs, after the usual reformatting.

Both the Memory Suppliers tech support and Verizon sales reps say that the Q supports 2GB max at this time. The reason is clear, I believe: Verizon is currently selling 1GB cards for $59 and 2GB cards for $99...

Note that we had some trouble recognizing the cards with our XP laptop but could format successfully on an XP desktop. We were using a Sandisk Mobilemate reader. Maybe the involved registry fix at https://www.customernation.com/pls/...HFAQ&p_citizen=&p_lang=en&p_show_privacy=TRUE would solve such reader-laptop problems?
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Reasons?

That doesn't seem clear at all.

First, why would Memory Suppliers say that? It could be costing themselves a sale.

Second, if the Q officially supported 4 GB cards, don't you think Verizon would be happy to sell you a 4 GB card for $200? :wink:

I think the reason is simply that 4 GB cards weren't around when the Q was being developed, so Motorola could only test 2 GB cards and listed that as the largest it could use.

Steve
  9. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Wow, must be a lot of young people in here...my first computer didn't have a hard drive...it used a cassette recorder as the hard drive. It was a Radio Shack TRS-80, I bought it in 1979 :2cool:
  10. Bwizzy

Bwizzy New Member

Well I got my 4gb card and it didn't work in my phone till I formated it in my pc. Other than that this jont works perfectly. I appreciate all of you all's help. Also, I ordered it from that guy on eBay. He shipped it fast as hell too.
  11. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

Cassette? What's that? <_<
  12. SorsCode

SorsCode New Member

Not to get off subject but that 4gb statment makes me feel old. My first computer had 10mb HardDrive and 256K Ram its was 8mhz with a turbo button to go 16mhz.
    Back on Topic. I'm using a 4gig in my phone with success.
  13. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Apparently I can't buy a 4GB memory card from ebay boy, because I don't have enough ebay feedback. I guess my money isn't green enough for him. Too bad for him, there are other sources. :smile:
  14. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

does having a Black Q make any difference? Seems like I can buy any 4gb card (not HC) format for fat32 and be done with it.
  15. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

I'm sure you can email him and tell him that you were refered by people that bought from him on this site.
  16. Esschoir

Esschoir New Member

Yahoo Music Jukebox working on the 4 gig card?

Berls, how did this work out for you? Like you, I'm hoping to use my YMJ sub on the Q using the 4 gig card.

Thanks
  17. CMantis

CMantis New Member

I ordered a topram 4gb card off ebay and it worked right out of the box showing 3.88gb available. The only thing is I can't seem to erase files using the file explorer is it supposed to be like that? I get an error when I try. I reformatted it in my computer and it still won't let me but I can erase just fine from my computer so no big deal. It came with a usb adapter as well as the sd adapter and an antenna booster. I will test the antenna booster after I get some readings without it. I think it ran me about 55 bucks. I will update after I get my phone activated and get some real time on it.

I forgot to update but the card is working just fine. I ended up throwing it into the computer and reformatting and works great.
  18. jdvinyl

jdvinyl New Member

Memory Suppliers

Based on the thread, I ordered the 4gb card from Memory Suppliers. It arrived in 3 days (fast). However, the phone, a desktop computer w/reader, a laptop with an internal reader, and a Mac laptop with external reader would not recognize the card (you can't format something your computer does not see). I even broke out some Linux commands on the Mac to no avail.

Memory suppliers responded to an email for an RMA number the morning after I requested. I shipped the card back to them last night.

If anybody is interested in their response, I will post if/when I receive a replacement.

jd
  19. redstar299

redstar299 New Member

did it work

Did the 4gb card work on the q?
  20. stratt28

stratt28 New Member

Mine did! I still loading it up with hundreds of songs and LOTS of work documents (.DOC, .PDF, etc.). I love this thing!