32GB NAND WP7 phones in 2011? 64GB phones planned?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by soundPCM81, Dec 1, 2010.

1. soundPCM81

soundPCM81 New Member

Since Microsoft sets strict hardware requirements for the phone manufacturers are there caps currently on the memory storage to not be above 16GB from Microsoft?

What I'm getting at is Microsoft still has the 15 month old Zune HD 32 GB and Zune HD 64 GB hardware players that they are selling directly.
    Are they handicapping the WP7 for the first year or so as to not hurt the Zune HD PMP sales?

The microSDHC card issues in the WP7 aside are we going to see a Windows Phone 7 hardware unit with with 32GB NAND memory available in 2011 from any hardware maker?

It's just a matter of 6-12 months before Apple has an iPhone with 64GB storage.
    If Microsoft wants to compete in an iPhone smartphone market they need to offer 32GB phones running WP7 in 2011.
    Does Microsoft think people are not willing to pay extra money for 64GB storage to hold video & music?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

There have been rumors that Microsoft will release a new Zune running WP7. I don't think they are intentionally limiting OEM's from boosting storage to prevent competition for Zune. Picking up a Zune requires no contract. They should get a new Zune out and fast -- with it running all the WP7 apps. That would help sell more Zunes, help create a bigger pie for developers and you'd have a lot more happy customers.

The Zune HD, despite it's age, is still one awesome device. They really did a phenomenal job on the hardware and software. It's the reason I was so jazzed about WP7.
  3. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Oh no! Do not even talk about a new Zune coming out please, I just added it to my Christmas wishlist haha. I hope if anything the current Zunes last another year or at least maybe can even be updated software-side to have the WP7 OS on them. That would be ideal.
  4. termleech

termleech Member

Microsoft has no official caps on the size. The likely reason the phone aren't coming out with any more is due to price and availability. Apple pretty much controls 80% of the NAND market because of how much they buy, which makes it hard to get higher capacities for other companies. So couple that with the increase in price and the fact the most phone companies expected you to be able to use the MiroSD slot you've probably got your answer.
  5. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I prefer a MicroSD slot to be honest as long as the phone also doesn't have a limit on the amount of memory you can have on the installed card. In that way really I could have a phone for years and years with content.
  6. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

I agree with this post. I refuse to get any WP7 phone (if and when Verizon ever gets them) that doesn't allow me to put in a larger MicroSD card. With all these phone can do now and will do in the near future, 8 & 16 gbyte cards won't be enough. Can you imagine having a phone 6 months from now with only 8 gigs available.