2GB = 970mb?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by atlmotoq, Mar 7, 2007.

1. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

2GB = 970mb?

So the UPS guy just dropped off my 2gb miniSD card. Of course it came with an adapter for use on desktop card readers. I put it in, go to My Computer, right click on the drive letter and select format. When I do a little screen pop up. it lets me choose between FAT and FAT32 (which one do I pick?) but what concerns me the most is the top drop-down menu. It says "capacity 970mb." I haven't done the format yet, I just wanted to run it by you guys.
  2. Amosrock

Amosrock New Member

i'm pretty sure it needs to be fat32 but i could be wrong so don't do it until someone who knows better responds...

my guess though is that the capacity will fix itself once you format it correctly
  3. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

yeah i thought it was fat32. guess I should just do it eh? cant i just reformat to FAT if i'm wrong?
  4. Amosrock

Amosrock New Member

yeah i suppose you could....after you do it let us know what happens...i'm planning on ordering a 2gb soon so i am curious
  5. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

well i tried formatting in in both fat and fat32. same thing. 970mb. BTW when I inserted the card the phone didn't see it. I had to restart the phone with the card inside to get it to work. BUT my problem still exists, I'm not even getting 1gb from a "2gb card."
  6. Amosrock

Amosrock New Member

i've noticed when i insert my 1gb card it usually doesn't see it the first time either...i've never had to restart my phone though...i just ejected it and reinserted it and its fine...i'm not sure why yours would only be showing 970 mbs....does it show the same thing when you look at your memory manager on the phone?
  7. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

yeah phone shows 0.95GB which is pretty much the same.The cards packaging says its a 2bg card but what are the odds that the actual card was a 1gb instead. its looking to me like that may be case. pffff and to think I didnt even win the $370 million MegaMillions game but this happens. great.
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

yeah, you probably got sent a 1GB instead.
  9. shanes_17

shanes_17 New Member

1 gig card, pack it up and send that sob back. Id give them a call and see what they will do for you considering they screwed up.
  10. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

I ordered it from Provantage. they've been really good to me, we'll see what plays out. the card is labeled as being "non-returnable." I already sent in a request. I also called the company itself. the jerks haven't called me back.
  11. kz1m9w

kz1m9w New Member

Two suggestions...

1) Use your computer to format the card using FAT32 and when you do, choose "Quick Format". I've had regular issues with cheap cards and doing this has fixed the problem in every instance.

2) How Gigabytes is reported is arguable. You can find countless information about it on the internet, but the gist is the amount will vary depending on if you are counting 1 Kb as 1,000 bytes or 1,024 bytes. Bottom line: its normal for a 2 GB card to report itself as 1.87 GB in your Motorola Q.

Of course, its not normal if your 2 GB card reports 987 MB. Hopefully #1 will solve that issue for you.

Hope this helps someone.
  12. atlmotoq

atlmotoq New Member

I called the card company and they are going to just send me a new one.
  13. moparchris

moparchris New Member

I have a 2GB card & it shows 1.9 GB in the Q mem manager. I have read about scams on Ebay involving flash drives not being the correct size, it could be happening with the cards too???
  14. goyleinlove

goyleinlove New Member

1.9G reading for a 2 gig card wuld be normal as it is being read as 1kb=1,024 bytes instead of 1kb=1,000 bytes.

You are gettig a correct reading.
  15. burkc

burkc New Member

I have heard of this before. eBay warns that over 90% of SD cards and flash drives are counterfeit and don't have the memory specified. I know you didn't get it there but evidently it is a big problem with online sales.

Good luck with the return.

Posted from my Q