2 years in, my Q9c has suddenly ground to a halt

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by abw1987, Jul 23, 2010.

1. abw1987

abw1987 New Member

2 years in, my Q9c has suddenly ground to a halt

Something strange happened to my phone a couple days ago, and ever since it has been unusably slow.

One day I started getting "low memory" messages, and my phone was acting really weird. So I cleared out some old documents, moved my pictures over to my PC, and deleted a ton of text messages.

Since then my phone has not been the same. It will take upwards of a minute to load whatever app I launch, or even to clear out of the Unlock screen. It almost reminds me of a PC with too little RAM that has to keep reading from and writing to the page (swap) file. But it's really bad - to the point where it's usually quicker to remove the battery and turn the phone back on than it is to wait for it to load the messaging app. (When I turn the phone on, it's usually okay for a few minutes.)

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I really don't want to get a new phone until WP7 comes out, and I'm afraid to factory reset the thing since I might lose my contacts, even with ActiveSync as a backup.

Also I should mention that I don't even use the web on this thing. No data plan. (My company gives me a Touch Pro 2 with data but no voice/text - so I carry two phones.)

Any ideas?

Thanks, and sorry if this is discussed a lot. I tried searching, but most threads about "slow" phones are just general complaints of slowness. (Perhaps because the phone is ridiculously underpowered? Haha... oh I love it.)
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

even though you dont want to, i would say just do the reset on it
    if you want to have an extra contacts backup just copy the pim.vol file from the phone to the PC and then copy it back after the reset
  3. ryant35

ryant35 Member

+1 As much of a pain it is to restore your contacts & apps it does help to wipe everything clean and start over. I do it to my PC every couple of years, most of the time not voluntarily:038:wipes_tear.

Before resetting I would also try clearing your predictive text memory, even if you have it turned off it still collects data and slows your phone down a lot. Settings - Text Input Settings - Menu - Clear Input History. Now that you know about it you can clear it once a month or so as preventive maintenance.
  4. abw1987

abw1987 New Member

Thank you sir hockey.

Yeah, I just ended up doing a master reset. I found some free program called Xilisoft Mobile Phone Manager that was able back up my contact, however it was unable to connect to my phone post-reset. Fortunately I also did a pim.vol backup and that returned everything to normal.

My phone has not been this fast in years. Fantastic!

Edit: Thank you ryant as well. I do that to my PCs as well, probably every few months, just to start from a clean slate. I'll be sure to clear my input history periodically as you suggest.
  5. riskybzns

riskybzns Active Member

do you have a memory card installed?
  6. abw1987

abw1987 New Member

I do, it's 2GB and mostly filled with music. This is where I did the pim.vol backup.
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

awesome
    glad its running smooth again!
  8. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I had this same problem with my Q9m. My phone started acting the same way. The reason mine started doing this is because I had too many messages (texts, and emails mostly). It stayed slow even after I deleted all the messages. Someone on here told me that it is an inherent problem with WM. So just make sure you are staying on top of deleting messages. I don't know if this was the same problem you had, but that was what happened to me. I had to hard reset it to get it working again. Glad you figured it out though!