2.5 mm to 3.5 mm woes

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by whitie_bear, Dec 12, 2006.

1. whitie_bear

whitie_bear New Member

2.5 mm to 3.5 mm woes

Guys,

i have bought 2 2.5 mm adaptors both with no luck

both only the right headphone played, i beleive the normal wiring for a 2.5 mm jack is diff then our Q 2.5 mm jack which probably has the mic connection where the left phone connection usualy is and vice versa with the left phone connection

anyways yes i know the seido works sold here, but has anyone found anywhere else that works?

and yes both of my adaptors have been 3 terminal not 2 terminal like headphones, and i have also tried a 2 terminal, it works the best but you cant stick it in all the way, which leads me to beleive the bottom ring (farthest from the rubber part of the headphone jack) is mic, and top two are headphone, where as i bet most 3 line headsets have the mic on the top ring closest to the rubber and the bottom two are headphones????
  2. EXRN

EXRN New Member

Hello,

As I was reading your post, I saw an adaptor advertised at the top of the page.

Here is the link:
    http://store.everythingq.com/content/accessories/---1050.htm

David

3. ridiculogic

ridiculogic New Member

Is there anything else besides the seidio brand adapter that works? I'm just not excited about the annoying wire on the sedio one (and it sounds like the original poster feels the same way).

4. robertguyser

robertguyser New Member

yes. check ebay. search for 'motorola q 2.5mm' or 'motorola q headphones'. alternately, search for 'cellphone headphones', 'cellphone 2.5mm' etc. i have tried lots of searches.

there seems to be 4 options for getting sound out of the Q.

1. a bluetooth headset - stereo or otherwise
    2. a 2.5mm headphone set with integrated microphone
    3. a 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapter with integrated microphone
    4. a USB to stereo 3.5mm headphone jack - no microphone

As noted, a regular 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter dosent work. i actually beleive there are 4 contacts on a cellphone 2.5mm plug. i havent ever owned any of this stuff, but that is what it looks like in lo-res photos on ebay..

i am still trying to decide on headphone(s). i think i will likely purchase #3 and #4 from the top list, with #1 being a icky choice, as i really hate the look of behind the head headphones. so tacky IMO.. and the awesome looking plantronics are like $100...

what i want is to use my $80 sennheiser semi-enclosed headphones with my q to do phone calls and listen to music....

notably, accessories are dirt chepa on ebay. so far i have received 2 OEM 1140mah backup batteries for $10 each with shipping, a charging cradle for the battereis for $10 inc. shipping, and $6 for a car\wall\usb cable adapter set.

anyone got any experience with the USB to headphone adapter? is it louder than the 2.5mm?
  5. whitie_bear

whitie_bear New Member

ya i said i have bought 3, all from ebay, you buy those off ebay youll be in the same place i am, thats why i started the post

i just bought another off ebay that has been "TESTED" on a Q to work and its specifically for the Q, but yes i have tried the mini usb adaptor, i have tried the 2.5 mm 2 line adaptor and the 2.5 mm 3 line adaptor

i have also tried an oasis adaptor with a mic and answer button, (3 lines) and all those did NOT work, this is not a normal 2.5 mm slot, i beleive motorola made it a pain and switched a contact so you would have to buy their equipment because a standared one will not work... i have tried

i took one of my useless adaptors cut it open, and swapped a wire and TADA its fixed now it works perfectly but looks stupid... which is why i bought this when the guy said it was tested on the Q

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Motorola-Q-...ryZ42404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED IT YET SO I CANT VOUCH FOR IT BUT ILL BE SURE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW

these are the ones i have bought and they have NOT worked

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-music-adapt...ryZ42404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-5mm-to-3-5mm-2...ryZ15040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-5mm-to-3-5mm-2...ryZ32838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Oasis-music-adap...ryZ15040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh and you dont have to buy bluetooth headphones, you can get bluetooth earphones

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Ericsson-HB...6QQihZ017QQcategoryZ80083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or you could buy this and use whatever earphones you want, i dont know how it works or if it works with the Q so if someone buys it let me know

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bluetooth-Stereo...ryZ73332QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#

i dont trust taiwan ebayers, plus he doesnt have feedback...im trying to find the one i saw yesterday for about 95 usd, its from hong kong and allows you to use whatever phones you want
  6. robertguyser

robertguyser New Member

haha. oh man. i just ordered several bits from ebay.. a jasco(?) C120s headset... it is supposed to work on the Q, they sell them at the Q sites on the web.. also a inexpensive adapter silimar to what you have posted in your first ebay link...

so, these things may not work? luckily i am an electronics expert(yes.) and can rewire the thing if need be...

the sony earbuds look totally rad.. too bad it is xmass time and my $$ is elsewhere...

after the holiday i totally want something like that though.. thanks for the tips...

thanks!
  7. whitie_bear

whitie_bear New Member

no problem...i will also be buying the sonys as soon as i have money after christmas hahahah

i hear that with bluetooth headsets you cant listen to music through them??? is this true, i heard it still just plays out of the q's speakers... but then i found the free software download on this site, and there was a bluetooth audio program that forces alll sounds out of the headset???

can anyone vouch for bluetooth headsets?
  8. robertguyser

robertguyser New Member

so, my jabra c120s headphones came. they work fine with the q, but unfortunately they are so poorly designed i cannot use them at all. the sound seems OK but not great, the real problem is that they are enormous, and also that they seem to rely on some really dodgy looking pieces of clear silicone that do not fit my ears - not that i would have used them anyway.. i might try and splice a better set of earbuds on... if licky i can pry open the case and solder to the speaker, avoiding unsightly wire joints...
  9. larycel

larycel New Member

RE:

I bought the USB to 3.5mm adapter, but the music is still playing thru the speaker. Is there a setting that I need to change somewhere to tell it to play thru the USB port?
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

no, unless you have a Q9h (which has no headset port) the Q doesn't support USB audio out
  11. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

I got one at radio shack that seems to work just fine. I plug it into my car stereo and all 4 speakers work and sound great. I use the bluetooth S9HD's when not in the car so I cant say about headphones.
  12. pistacio

pistacio New Member

search for motorola part # skn 6183. i bought 3 so far (2 vehicles, and 1 for home) and all of them work flawlessly.

LG also makes an adapter with a mic built in. I have tried 2 of these. One of them worked well while the other (bought on ebay) triggered voice recognition constantly.
  13. handzar

handzar New Member

Will skn6183 also work properly with the Q9c? Thanks.
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes, it will work just fine
  15. OklahomaHoss

OklahomaHoss Member

Awesome! I came here looking for something like that! Now if I can just find a 4 or 8 gig memory card that'll fit like it's supposed to for my phone and the correct cable for connecting it to my computer....
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

both are available if you click the store tab at the top of the page.
  17. OklahomaHoss

OklahomaHoss Member

Yea, but that's a MICRO sd card. I bought one already and it didn't fit. It was too thick to fit into the memory card slot. So I bought one with one of those tiny little cards that slid inside it, and that one was too SMALL. I was so goddam mad. Come to find out there's a third type of card out there. The MINI SD. Apparently that's what the Q uses. The one in the "store" up there is advertised as a "Micro"