100% CPU utilization

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by rpeterslll, Nov 29, 2007.

1. rpeterslll

rpeterslll New Member

100% CPU utilization

I have a Motorola Q9m phone, lately my Q9m has been very slow, I would go to the task manager and kill all the applications but my CPU utilization would stay at 100% and wouldnt change. I need to power it down and back up to clear it. Out, the task manager it completly empty at this point. Any idea of what may be taking up all the resources?
  2. Do you use active sync?
  3. rpeterslll

rpeterslll New Member

Yes I use Activesync for direct push e-mail from MS Exchange server.
  4. I meant to say wireless sync.
    My bad.
  5. rpeterslll

rpeterslll New Member

Oh, no I removed wireless sync, I dont use that at all.
  6. cputrdoc

cputrdoc New Member

Mine did this the other day too. It directly followed receiving new email. I thought it was the mail application (which had stopped responding -- typical Windows thing I guess), but even after I had killed it, CPU utilization was still at 100%. I have a theory that's what killed a full battery the night before too.

This was just after updating the firmware on my device (*228 through Verizon), now using firmware version NL-BP_C_03.20.0EP MP_BSP_C_04.08.65-07P_NM_P3.0.

So I don't have any answers, but I'll tell you you're not the only one.
  7. rpeterslll

rpeterslll New Member

I have the sam firmware version.

Thanks
  8. Paul G

Paul G New Member

Do you close the Task Manager using <exit>?
  9. iiseviltwin

iiseviltwin New Member

I am having the same problem with my new Sprint Motorola Q9c. I just tested the theory that the problem occurs when you download new messages using the internal Mail application. What kind of server do you connect to? Does it happen with POP accounts? I am using IMAP with GMail, but I am using SSL encryption.

Other than this problem, I've been happy with my phone.
  10. rpeterslll

rpeterslll New Member

I am using Exchange activesync. I haven been using the mail application for a wile and this is the first time for this to happen. A factory reset fixed the problem.
  11. cputrdoc

cputrdoc New Member

Imap

As of the last time it froze, all of my email accounts were using IMAP (work email and Yahoo email). It's not consistent, unfortunately. Happens once every 2-3 days, with my phone set to check email every half hour or so. I didn't check CPU usage when it locked up two days ago; I assume it was 100%.
  12. S_Minion

S_Minion New Member

I have been having the problem that after a few actions with my phone (text/call etc) the CPU useage will stay 100% forever until I power down and start again.

It seems to drasticaly shorten my battery life from what I have noticed. Some time I can leave the phone alone for days. If I use it much at all and don't restart it the battery will die in short order (5-6 hours) after the use.

I do have wireless sync on with e-mail push.
  13. adma

adma New Member

It will come back. I have hard resetted 5-6 times to try to discover the issue or a way around it.
  14. mmarler

mmarler New Member

Using Exit in Task Manager Solved CPU Utilization Issue

Paul, I appreciate your suggestion of closing Task Manager using the Menu/Exit soft key.

If I kill all running programs in Task Manager, then Exit Task Manager as mentioned above, then open Task Manager again and "Refresh" with the left soft key, my CPU Utilization changes from 100% to 1 or 2%. I then always exit out of Task Manager with the Menu/Exit soft key.

If I don't do the above, my phone eventually slows down significantly over time. While I wish this process wasn't needed, I'm glad to know how to prevent/fix my phone from becoming unresponsive. Thanks for the excellent help on this forum!

Malcolm
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Yup...I look at it like a PC. If you just close an app by hitting end or home, that's like minimizing it to the taskbar. Doing menu>exit is like hitting the (X) and completly stopping the program.
  16. Paul G

Paul G New Member

Unfortunate

Always a pleasure. Too bad...I'd like to be able to keep the Task Manager running in the background at times.
    Be well, and happy holidays!
  17. 559624

559624 New Member

fixed

I was able to fix my 100% utilization problem by setting the GPS to 911 only. I had set it to Location On to try some things. Oh yeah this is on a Verizion Moto Q 9m. Hope that helps.
  18. erupert

erupert New Member

My phone has been slowing down the last few days (about 2 actually) until today it became totally unmanageable and I gave up and did a master reset and reinstalled my stuff. It's working perfectly fine. I have not done *228 in awhile and I think that now I shouldn't.

I do use wireless sync quite a bit. I noticed someone asking about it, any tips there?
  19. adma

adma New Member

what does *228 have anything to do with it? Not to mention, *228 does not do a PRL update for Sprint like it does for Verizon...
  20. erupert

erupert New Member

someone else mentioned a firmware update as part of *228 that seemed to cause problems. Maybe coincidental